From: Eileen on
I am receiving error messages at startup:

- Cannot find D:\CDsetup.exe
- Could not lad or fun D:\CDsetup.exe

The file does not show in a system search but does show in the registry at:
File Name: CDSETUP.EXT
File Path: D\CDSETUP.EXE
Startup Type: Registry: Current User
Location: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Sindow\Load
Classification: Not yet classfied

I have Windows XP on the computer and have never had Window NT on the
computer. I attempted to connect an old ScanPort scanner a few weeks ago
using the driver disc with the scanner and the error messages began. I was
unable to locate an updated driver for scanner.

Can I delete the file from the registry without harming anything else on the
computer?
--
Eileen
From: Rey Santos on
How to Modify the Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136393

--
Rey

From: Paul on
Eileen wrote:
> I am receiving error messages at startup:
>
> - Cannot find D:\CDsetup.exe
> - Could not lad or fun D:\CDsetup.exe
>
> The file does not show in a system search but does show in the registry at:
> File Name: CDSETUP.EXT
> File Path: D\CDSETUP.EXE
> Startup Type: Registry: Current User
> Location: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Sindow\Load
> Classification: Not yet classfied
>
> I have Windows XP on the computer and have never had Window NT on the
> computer. I attempted to connect an old ScanPort scanner a few weeks ago
> using the driver disc with the scanner and the error messages began. I was
> unable to locate an updated driver for scanner.
>
> Can I delete the file from the registry without harming anything else on the
> computer?

That sounds a bit like the mechanism described at the top of this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/103865

I can find a reference to that registry key in this article. And
that leads me to an alternative solution.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/WindowsXP/AdminTips/Miscellaneous/WindowsProgramStartupLocations.html

load subkey :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\load registry key

Perhaps a way to manipulate that item, without using a registry editor, is
get a copy of Autoruns and untick that item.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

There may be a search option in Autoruns, and if so, have the search
look for CDsetup.exe . Then, maybe it'll focus on the offending
line. I think more than one "thing" can live in that registry
entry, so perhaps it'll work better to have Autoruns do it for you.

You could always try uninstalling the ancient ScanPort driver, but
who knows what additional damage that will do. It was undoubtedly
written for a much older OS.

Paul
From: Jim on
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:41:18 -0700, Eileen
<Eileen(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am receiving error messages at startup:
>
>- Cannot find D:\CDsetup.exe
>- Could not lad or fun D:\CDsetup.exe
>
>The file does not show in a system search but does show in the registry at:
>File Name: CDSETUP.EXT
>File Path: D\CDSETUP.EXE
>Startup Type: Registry: Current User
>Location: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Sindow\Load
>Classification: Not yet classfied
>
>I have Windows XP on the computer and have never had Window NT on the
>computer. I attempted to connect an old ScanPort scanner a few weeks ago
>using the driver disc with the scanner and the error messages began. I was
>unable to locate an updated driver for scanner.
>
>Can I delete the file from the registry without harming anything else on the
>computer?

Drive D: is ?
From: Don Phillipson on
"Eileen" <Eileen(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I am receiving error messages at startup:
>
> - Cannot find D:\CDsetup.exe
> - Could not lad or fun D:\CDsetup.exe
>
> The file does not show in a system search but does show in the registry
at:
> File Name: CDSETUP.EXT
> File Path: D\CDSETUP.EXE
> Startup Type: Registry: Current User
> Location: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Sindow\Load
> Classification: Not yet classfied
>
> I have Windows XP on the computer and have never had Window NT on the
> computer. I attempted to connect an old ScanPort scanner a few weeks ago
> using the driver disc with the scanner and the error messages began. I was
> unable to locate an updated driver for scanner.
>
> Can I delete the file from the registry without harming anything else on
the
> computer?

Your terminology suggests you are relatively inexperienced:
e.g. the Registry contains keys, not files. You need to know:
1. WindowsXP includes several elements of WinNT; (the NT
File System is one of several.)
2. Your error messages suggest incomplete installation of
the ScanPort hardware (now added to startup processes i.e.
your PC is trying to complete the installation.)
3. If your PC is configured with System Restore (explained
in the Help files) you can tidy up the Registry by turning
back the clock to the date of a good configuration.
4. It is normal to encounter SETUP errors with old hardware,
especially if no drivers were written for WinXP for that HW.
If you can complete installation, you may get the scanner
to work via the /Compatibility setting (emulating Win95 or Win98.
But, prices being as they now are, it may be cheaper to junk
the old HW and buy new.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs