From: Martin on
Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

> Has anyone tried the 10.6 Catalyst ATI Proprietary driver with Slackware64
> 13.1 and KDE?
>
> While the driver seems to be working fine, to the effect that I can run 3-
> d games just fine with it and get some good 3-d tests going, KDE doesn't
> seem able to use Desktop Effects. When I try to enable compositing, it
> just fails without any error messages that I can find.
>
> I'd like some pointers on where to start looking to debug this and perhaps
> a solution if someone has already figured this stuff out.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Aaron W. Hsu

I have given up on ATI entirely. Their Linux support is slow, patchy, and
they take products out of maintenance very quickly. They seem not to strive
for doing a good job under Linux. I cannot see how the take-over by a skint
company (AMD) is going to help the situation.

Intel DRM could look good, only on Clarkdale I am currently having some
issues with crashes under X. Bug tickets have been posted but little
progress is being made.

For Linux users there is only Nvidia at the moment. They even support the
oldest GeForce chips via their 96.43.XX drivers, and usually react very
quickly when the latest kernel contains incompatible changes to the driver
API (which it usually does).

Martin

From: Aaron W. Hsu on
Martin wrote:

> I have given up on ATI entirely. Their Linux support is slow, patchy,
and
> they take products out of maintenance very quickly. They seem not to
> strive for doing a good job under Linux. I cannot see how the take-over
by
> a skint company (AMD) is going to help the situation.

So, I didn't really have a choice of cards when I was going with my
laptop, or if I did, I don't remember the motivation to go with ATI, but I
haven't had any troubles really with using them or their drivers. Things
seem to work quite well, actually, and I haven't been disappointed. I
haven't used NVidia cards for a while now, but I also remember having very
few problems with them, too. I have had more problems with Intel chips,
but overall, I haven't had that many bad experiences when it comes to
these graphics cards. I know that a lot of people seem to have problems
with them, but I can report that the support these days is at least a lot
better than when I first started using Linux and UNIX based systems on
home systems. Compared to then, todays world is pretty nice, because we
have no less than three different vendors who have mainstream modern cards
that actually work, at least, to some degree.

Aaron W. Hsu
From: Martin on
Aaron W. Hsu wrote:

> Martin wrote:
>
>> I have given up on ATI entirely. Their Linux support is slow, patchy,
> and
>> they take products out of maintenance very quickly. They seem not to
>> strive for doing a good job under Linux. I cannot see how the take-over
> by
>> a skint company (AMD) is going to help the situation.
>
> So, I didn't really have a choice of cards when I was going with my
> laptop, or if I did, I don't remember the motivation to go with ATI,

On my company laptop I had no choice either, got a Mobility Radeon X1400.
I've never got compositing to work, and by now the chip is no longer
supported by new drivers (and thus cannot be used with current kernels),

> but I
> haven't had any troubles really with using them or their drivers. Things
> seem to work quite well, actually, and I haven't been disappointed. I
> haven't used NVidia cards for a while now, but I also remember having very
> few problems with them, too. I have had more problems with Intel chips,
> but overall, I haven't had that many bad experiences when it comes to
> these graphics cards. I know that a lot of people seem to have problems
> with them, but I can report that the support these days is at least a lot
> better than when I first started using Linux and UNIX based systems on
> home systems. Compared to then, todays world is pretty nice, because we
> have no less than three different vendors who have mainstream modern cards
> that actually work, at least, to some degree.
>
> Aaron W. Hsu

Martin

From: Martin on
Martin wrote:

> Intel DRM could look good, only on Clarkdale I am currently having some
> issues with crashes under X. Bug tickets have been posted but little
> progress is being made.

Follow-up: it appears, libdrm-2.4.21 solves some of the crashes. I used the
Slackbuild from the DVD to create a 2.4.21 package.

Martin

Pages: 1
Prev: KDE Desktop Effects + Fglrx
Next: X graphics