From: CJ Keist on
I'm trying to install postfix-2.7.2-RC2 on Solaris 10 sparc system.
Make and install goes through fine. postfix starts up with no errors.
But getting the following errors in the log file:

Aug 10 09:58:43 mail1 postfix/smtpd[173]: [ID 947731 mail.crit] fatal:
statvfs .: Value too large for defined data type

this error corresponds when a message is trying to be delivered. The
sending mail server is getting a stat=deferred.

I've tried googling this error but not finding any solutions. One note,
the postfix install is on a ZFS file system. Any idea why I'm getting
this error?

--
C. J. Keist Email: cj.keist(a)colostate.edu
Systems Group Manager Phone: 970-491-0630

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'

From: Wietse Venema on
CJ Keist:
> I'm trying to install postfix-2.7.2-RC2 on Solaris 10 sparc system.
> Make and install goes through fine. postfix starts up with no errors.
> But getting the following errors in the log file:
>
> Aug 10 09:58:43 mail1 postfix/smtpd[173]: [ID 947731 mail.crit] fatal:
> statvfs .: Value too large for defined data type
>
> this error corresponds when a message is trying to be delivered. The
> sending mail server is getting a stat=deferred.
>
> I've tried googling this error but not finding any solutions. One note,
> the postfix install is on a ZFS file system. Any idea why I'm getting
> this error?

I speculate that the statvfs API can't handle the very large result
values that ZFS supports; perhaps Solaris has grown a new API that
Postfix currently isn't aware of?

Wietse

From: Brian Evans - Postfix List on
On 8/10/2010 12:29 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> CJ Keist:
>> I'm trying to install postfix-2.7.2-RC2 on Solaris 10 sparc system.
>> Make and install goes through fine. postfix starts up with no errors.
>> But getting the following errors in the log file:
>>
>> Aug 10 09:58:43 mail1 postfix/smtpd[173]: [ID 947731 mail.crit] fatal:
>> statvfs .: Value too large for defined data type
>>
>> this error corresponds when a message is trying to be delivered. The
>> sending mail server is getting a stat=deferred.
>>
>> I've tried googling this error but not finding any solutions. One note,
>> the postfix install is on a ZFS file system. Any idea why I'm getting
>> this error?
> I speculate that the statvfs API can't handle the very large result
> values that ZFS supports; perhaps Solaris has grown a new API that
> Postfix currently isn't aware of?
>
> Wietse
A quick Google shows related issues in lots of software, example
http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6433526
and documented here:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-4078/gdzmr?l=en&a=view#gevqm

Workaround: set quota or place queue on <2TB fs

Fix: use statvfs64

From: CJ Keist on
Thanks, how do I compile to use statvfs64?

From: CJ Keist on
Got it fixed! Simply solution. Just create a zfs file system for the
pqueues with a modest amount of reservation size. I did 20Gb.