From: mcnews on
how would you do a search and replace like this?

<!-- start marker 1 -->

bunch o text

<!-- end marker 1 -->

let's say you want to replace what ever is between the start and end
markers with text from an external file.
would just like some smart tips how to do this with VB.

tia,
mcnewsxp

From: dpb on
mcnews wrote:
> how would you do a search and replace like this?
>
> <!-- start marker 1 -->
>
> bunch o text
>
> <!-- end marker 1 -->
>
> let's say you want to replace what ever is between the start and end
> markers with text from an external file.
> would just like some smart tips how to do this with VB.

mid$() comes to mind...

Simplest would be if can be held in memory to read target into string
variable, find start/end and replace.

Fastest if sizes are considerable could be the memmove() tricks (easily
found by google here or on web as it's been discussed ad nauseum)...

From: duke on
On Apr 19, 8:27 am, mcnews <mcour...(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
> how would you do a search and replace like this?
>
> <!-- start marker 1 -->
>
> bunch o text
>
> <!-- end marker 1 -->
>
> let's say you want to replace what ever is between the start and end
> markers with text from an external file.
> would just like some smart tips how to do this with VB.
>
> tia,
> mcnewsxp

Your question did not describe the source of the text, so I would
limit my suggestion just to the search & replace which is covered by
the replace statement:

text1.text = replace(text1.text,"search text", "replace text",start
position, occurrence, compare type)

Finding the start position (start / end marker) can normally be
determined with the use of the InStr statement or omitting the start
position searches the entire value of text1.text

Duke
From: duke on
On Apr 19, 8:27 am, mcnews <mcour...(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
> how would you do a search and replace like this?
>
> <!-- start marker 1 -->
>
> bunch o text
>
> <!-- end marker 1 -->
>
> let's say you want to replace what ever is between the start and end
> markers with text from an external file.
> would just like some smart tips how to do this with VB.
>
> tia,
> mcnewsxp

My apologies.... I reread your question, you did say the text is
coming from an external file.

Anyways, you could apply the replace statement to the buffer area of
the file then write the contents back out to disk.

Duke
From: mcnews on
On Apr 19, 11:25 am, duke <nosp...(a)3web.net> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 8:27 am, mcnews <mcour...(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > how would you do a search and replace like this?
>
> > <!-- start marker 1 -->
>
> > bunch o text
>
> > <!-- end marker 1 -->
>
> > let's say you want to replace what ever is between the start and end
> > markers with text from an external file.
> > would just like some smart tips how to do this with VB.
>
> > tia,
> > mcnewsxp
>
> My apologies.... I reread your question, you did say the text is
> coming from an external file.
>
> Anyways, you could apply the replace statement to the buffer area of
> the file then write the contents back out to disk.
>
> Duke

that is pretty much what i am doing now except that i am just looking
for the first marker. what would be the best way to grab the text
between to start and end markers?