From: Richard Maine on
dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

> Arno wrote:
> >> While there is some use for IACHAR, you wouldn't use it
> >> to check for letters. You would check by using character stings.
> >
> > Oh, actually I am using it to check letters. Is there a better/more
> > elegant way? I would be happy to learn about it.
>
> Depends on what you're actually doing.
>
> INDEX, VERIFY, SCAN all have uses depending, again...
>
> Whether more have been added w/ later Standards as well I've not looked
> at, either.

Nothing new in that area that I know of.

Oh, and iachar can be fine for checking for letters. There are many ways
to do that. I agree with dpb that it depends on what you are actually
doing... along with personal style preferences. I've done things like
that with iachar, and I've done them other ways as well. I don't think
there is a single universal "best" way.

I don't respond to Robin directly (or even read his posts most of the
time). I'm writing this only as a cautionary note. I recommend caution
about trusting to get even simple matters of objective fact correct. As
for judgements about better or more elegant ways of doing things...

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: dpb on
Richard Maine wrote:
> dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

>>> Oh, actually I am using it to check letters. Is there a better/more
>>> elegant way? I would be happy to learn about it.
>> Depends on what you're actually doing.
>>
>> INDEX, VERIFY, SCAN all have uses depending, again...
>>
>> Whether more have been added w/ later Standards as well I've not looked
>> at, either.
>
> Nothing new in that area that I know of.
>
> Oh, and iachar can be fine for checking for letters. There are many ways
> to do that. I agree with dpb that it depends on what you are actually
> doing... along with personal style preferences. I've done things like
> that with iachar, and I've done them other ways as well. I don't think
> there is a single universal "best" way.
Precisely that last point was what I was trying to indicate was my
opinion as well. Didn't intend to imply there was anything wrong w/
iachar() for some purposes; only what the other alternatives that have
their own strengths/weaknesses are as that seemed the question.

(And thanks for confirming there haven't been particular additions in
the area...didn't think so but wasn't positive enough to so say.)

From: J.F. Cornwall on
analyst41(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 11, 4:49 pm, dpb <n...(a)non.net> wrote:
>> analys...(a)hotmail.com wrote:

>>> That sounds interesting: We know that "true" EORs can only occur
>>> after the last columnn in the database. So if one sees them "in
>>> between" one can throw them out.
>>
>> One last thought that might help the parsing...is there the possibility
>> of exporting as tab-delimited instead of csv? _IF_ (the proverbial "big
>> if" :) ) could and there's not a tab in the text fields, could make the
>> field identification simpler...
>>
>> --
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> To SQL client experts = can one download tables as tab delimited
> files?
>
> Thanks.

I'm sure that some RDBMS vendors provide that capabilty. I don't
believe ours (Ingres) does. ASCII unload, yes, but I don't believe its
tab-delimited. Check with your vendor.

Jim
From: robin on
"Arno" <arnoinperu(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> While there is some use for IACHAR, you wouldn't use it
>> to check for letters. You would check by using character stings.

>Oh, actually I am using it to check letters. Is there a better/more
>elegant way? I would be happy to learn about it.

No need to use IACHAR for that.
You can compare the actual letters as character constants.

From: Ron Shepard on
In article <PVYEm.49864$ze1.16910(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"robin" <robin_v(a)bigpond.com> wrote:

> "Arno" <arnoinperu(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> While there is some use for IACHAR, you wouldn't use it
> >> to check for letters. You would check by using character stings.
>
> >Oh, actually I am using it to check letters. Is there a better/more
> >elegant way? I would be happy to learn about it.
>
> No need to use IACHAR for that.
> You can compare the actual letters as character constants.

Could you give a simple example that demonstrates this? I know how
to use the iachar() intrinsic in a simple and portable way to test
if an unknown letter is a character, but not an arbitrary (possibly
unknown) native processor collating sequence.

$.02 -Ron Shepard