From: Rick Pasotto on
On my home machine running 5.3.2-2 in debian linux the commands:

echo date('Y-m-d',strtotime('first day of this month')).'<br/>';
echo date('Y-m-d',strtotime('last day of next month'));

give the expected results.

I just got setup with a hosting provider running 5.2.13 on BSD and both
give '1969-12-31'.

What could be causing this? The second command is straight from the
manual and the first is clearly implied.

So far everything else seems to work as expected.

--
"Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
-- John Kenneth Galbraith
From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 16:04 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> On my home machine running 5.3.2-2 in debian linux the commands:
>
> echo date('Y-m-d',strtotime('first day of this month')).'<br/>';
> echo date('Y-m-d',strtotime('last day of next month'));
>
> give the expected results.
>
> I just got setup with a hosting provider running 5.2.13 on BSD and both
> give '1969-12-31'.
>
> What could be causing this? The second command is straight from the
> manual and the first is clearly implied.
>
> So far everything else seems to work as expected.
>
> --
> "Economics is extremely useful as a form of employment for economists."
> -- John Kenneth Galbraith
> Rick Pasotto rick(a)niof.net http://www.niof.net

The example you quote as being straight from the manual page is actually
from the user-submitted code snippets, and I can't find the
documentation to support it. I can only assume that it's possibly an
experimental thing, or something that shouldn't work but by freak
coincidence does occasionally. Maybe use mktime() instead to get the
dates?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Daniel Brown on
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 17:02, Ashley Sheridan <ash(a)ashleysheridan.co.uk> wrote:

> The example you quote as being straight from the manual page is actually
> from the user-submitted code snippets, and I can't find the
> documentation to support it. I can only assume that it's possibly an
> experimental thing, or something that shouldn't work but by freak
> coincidence does occasionally. Maybe use mktime() instead to get the
> dates?

Relative date strings - specifically including those terms - are
in PHP5 >= 5.3.0 exclusively, for now. I don't believe there are any
plans to backport it to the 5.2 branch.

Rick, if you want to add this as a "Documentation Problem" to
http://bugs.php.net/, one of us will likely add it to the
documentation, as it probably should not only be noted, but also be in
an easy-to-find place (you know, such as right there on the
strtotime() manual entry).

--
</Daniel P. Brown>
UNADVERTISED DEDICATED SERVER SPECIALS
From: "Daniel P. Brown" on
On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 22:27, Rick Pasotto <rick(a)niof.net> wrote:

> After I sent my original post the one and only user comment on the
> relative date strings man page was pointed out to me. So, it's there but
> how many people make a habit of reading all the user comments?

A few thousand per day, give or take.

I do remember seeing which page had the note, but I don't recall
which one. Can you send me the link so that I can pop that out and
put the info in the documentation?

From: Rick Pasotto on

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.relative.php

--
"There are always three speeches, for every one you actually gave. The
one you practiced, the one you gave, and the one you wish you gave."