From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 07/25/2010 01:01 AM, Tejun Heo wrote:
> (cc'ing hpa, hi!)
> Hello,
>
> On 07/24/2010 08:40 PM, Yuhong Bao wrote:
>>> However, 2TiB limit is
>>> inherent in the BIOS programming interface and currently the only way
>>> to overcome it is using a completely different BIOS interface (EFI,
>>> that is).
>>
>> Nope, look at the Int13 extensions, it already support 64-bit LBA.
>
> Ah, yeah, that sounds much more logical than requiring transition to
> EFI. Does anyone know how wide spread the support for this extension
> is in BIOSes? Do the bootloaders support this?
>
> Thanks.

Syslinux 4 supports it with full 64-bit capabilities. SeaBIOS (used in
Qemu/KVM) supports it, and I know at least some hardware/firmware RAID
solutions support it; I recently got access to a 3 TB SATA drive but due
to NDA requirements I can't reveal the results of that testing.

-hpa

From: Tejun Heo on
(cc'ing hpa, hi!)

--
tejun
From: Alex Buell on
On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 01:07 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Syslinux 4 supports it with full 64-bit capabilities. SeaBIOS (used
> in
> Qemu/KVM) supports it, and I know at least some hardware/firmware RAID
> solutions support it; I recently got access to a 3 TB SATA drive but
> due to NDA requirements I can't reveal the results of that testing.

Yes but is it possible to boot from a complete 4k sector with the new
standards?
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

One very high maintenance cat living here.
From: Tejun Heo on
Hello,

On 07/25/2010 10:07 AM, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Syslinux 4 supports it with full 64-bit capabilities. SeaBIOS (used in
> Qemu/KVM) supports it, and I know at least some hardware/firmware RAID
> solutions support it; I recently got access to a 3 TB SATA drive but due
> to NDA requirements I can't reveal the results of that testing.

Hmmm... doesn't sound too bad then. Is there an easy to test whether
64bit LBA works? I have a 2.5TiB drive and can test the machines I
have and probably publish the result too.

Thanks.

--
tejun
From: H. Peter Anvin on
On 07/25/2010 01:26 AM, Alex Buell wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 01:07 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>
>> Syslinux 4 supports it with full 64-bit capabilities. SeaBIOS (used
>> in
>> Qemu/KVM) supports it, and I know at least some hardware/firmware RAID
>> solutions support it; I recently got access to a 3 TB SATA drive but
>> due to NDA requirements I can't reveal the results of that testing.
>
> Yes but is it possible to boot from a complete 4k sector with the new
> standards?

Yes, but currently there are no 4k *logical* sector products on the
market (and $DEITY knows how many BIOSes would handle them correctly.)
The BIOS interfaces should handle them fine, though.

-hpa