From: Jay G. Scott on

Greetings,

My users have a script like so (sanitized for everyone's sake):
/usr/ucb/mail -s "a subject" \
-r contracts \
-c "list o folks"\
-b "diff list o folks" \
"real recip list" \
< some_file

I just switched the machine from sendmail to postfix.
the "-r contracts" "doesn't work". that is, the "from" says
contracts(a)arlut... but the (name) shows the person's name
(the person running the script).

i don't know what it said for the person's name before, but
i guess they don't like it. so i gotta.

postfix's sendmail doesn't have a -c (carbon copy) or
-b (blind carbon copy) equivalent. -f and -F will fix
the "from" fakery, but the carbon copies are a problem.

mutt will handle ONE carbon and ONE blind carbon, unless
i'm doing it wrong. i can fake the "from" stuff.

mutt -F honk -s "t11" -c root,root(a)inm,gl root(a)harvey < /etc/motd
# nope.
mutt -F honk -s "t12" -c "root root(a)inm gl" root(a)harvey < /etc/motd
# this one tries to send to rootroot(a)inmgl
# nope.

> more honk
set from=contracts(a)arlut.utexas.edu
set realname="George Tirebiter"

i DO NOT WANT to go back to sendmail.
i DO NOT WANT to go back to sendmail.
i DO NOT WANT to go back to sendmail.
i DO NOT WANT to go back to sendmail.
but i gotta do all those carbons, and fake the "from" stuff.

anybody got any ideas? or am i doing something stupid? i thought
i was reading the right man pages.

j.

From: Noel Jones on
On 7/29/2010 2:24 PM, Jay G. Scott wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My users have a script like so (sanitized for everyone's sake):
> /usr/ucb/mail -s "a subject" \
> -r contracts \
> -c "list o folks"\
> -b "diff list o folks" \
> "real recip list" \
> < some_file
>
> I just switched the machine from sendmail to postfix.
> the "-r contracts" "doesn't work". that is, the "from" says
> contracts(a)arlut... but the (name) shows the person's name
> (the person running the script).
>
> i don't know what it said for the person's name before, but
> i guess they don't like it. so i gotta.
>
> postfix's sendmail doesn't have a -c (carbon copy) or
> -b (blind carbon copy) equivalent. -f and -F will fix
> the "from" fakery, but the carbon copies are a problem.
>
> mutt will handle ONE carbon and ONE blind carbon, unless
> i'm doing it wrong. i can fake the "from" stuff.
>
> mutt -F honk -s "t11" -c root,root(a)inm,gl root(a)harvey< /etc/motd
> # nope.
> mutt -F honk -s "t12" -c "root root(a)inm gl" root(a)harvey< /etc/motd
> # this one tries to send to rootroot(a)inmgl
> # nope.

mutt ... -c user1 -c user2 -c user3 ...

From: Wolfgang Zeikat on
In an older episode, on 2010-07-29 21:24, Jay G. Scott wrote:

> My users have a script like so (sanitized for everyone's sake):
> /usr/ucb/mail -s "a subject" \
> -r contracts \
> -c "list o folks"\
> -b "diff list o folks" \
> "real recip list" \
> < some_file

> postfix's sendmail doesn't have a -c (carbon copy) or
> -b (blind carbon copy) equivalent. -f and -F will fix
> the "from" fakery, but the carbon copies are a problem.

For the records:

/usr/ucb/mail -s "test2 -r, Cc: und Bcc: mit /usr/ucb/mail SunOS 5.10"
-r wolfgang.zeikat(a)desy.de -c wolfgang.zeikat(a)desy.de,other(a)addre.ss
yet.another(a)addre.ss

works for me on SunOS 5.10 with postfix. We already installed postfix
really early there after removing sendmail. As far as I can tell, the -c
option depends on the "mail" binary, not on the MTA's sendmail binary.

-r uses the "full name" of the user from /etc/password ...

Regards,

wolfgang