From: Kremlar on
We have a main location with an AD/file server running Windows Server 2003
R2 32-bit. We also have an Exchange server here running Windows Server 2003
R2 64-bit and Exchange 2007 Standard SP2.

We have a second location with a backup AD/file server running Windows
Server 2008 R2 64-bit. We also have an Exchange server running Windows
Server 2008 64-bit and Exchange 2007 Standard SP2.

The purpose of this second location is strictly to serve as a backup - if a
disaster occurs, the plan would be to restore our file shares and Exchange
database to these servers at our second location to get up and running ASAP.
The Exchange database is about 70GB. Locations are connected via a decent
speed VPN.

We are investigating options regarding syncing file shares from our main
location to our second location. That seems straightforward enough, but
what options do I have regarding Exchange?

What are my options other than bringing a tape over and running a restore?
Is there anything practical that will replicate the store between both
servers, perhaps even a nightly sync? Does the difference in OS version
matter at all?

We don't have a big budget, but have the hardware and place and want to be
sure we take the most advantage of it.

Thanks in advance!

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 07:44:29 -0400, "Kremlar" <kremlar(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:

>We have a main location with an AD/file server running Windows Server 2003
>R2 32-bit. We also have an Exchange server here running Windows Server 2003
>R2 64-bit and Exchange 2007 Standard SP2.
>
>We have a second location with a backup AD/file server running Windows
>Server 2008 R2 64-bit. We also have an Exchange server running Windows
>Server 2008 64-bit and Exchange 2007 Standard SP2.
>
>The purpose of this second location is strictly to serve as a backup - if a
>disaster occurs, the plan would be to restore our file shares and Exchange
>database to these servers at our second location to get up and running ASAP.
>The Exchange database is about 70GB. Locations are connected via a decent
>speed VPN.
>
>We are investigating options regarding syncing file shares from our main
>location to our second location. That seems straightforward enough, but
>what options do I have regarding Exchange?
>
>What are my options other than bringing a tape over and running a restore?
>Is there anything practical that will replicate the store between both
>servers, perhaps even a nightly sync? Does the difference in OS version
>matter at all?
>
>We don't have a big budget, but have the hardware and place and want to be
>sure we take the most advantage of it.

It sounds as if SCR (Standby Continuous Replication) might fit your
needs.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb676571(EXCHG.80).aspx
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2007/06/28/445538.aspx
---