From: Raghu Maddali on
Hi all,

Is there anything in ruby like we use "this" pointer in ruby.Like,how do
we write

$this->config = parse_ini_file('web/display.ini', true)

in ruby??

Thanks

From: Josh Cheek on

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Raghu Maddali <raghu1216(a)yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there anything in ruby like we use "this" pointer in ruby.Like,how do
> we write
>
> $this->config = parse_ini_file('web/display.ini', true)
>
> in ruby??
>
> Thanks

presumably you want self.config = parse_ini_file(...) your actual question
is a little unclear (I assume you meant to refer to a different language)
but you should note that there are no pointers in Ruby, and in the
preceeding example, "config=" is a method defined on self, you are not
directly setting an instance variable like you would be in Java, but rather
invoking a method which probably sets an instance variable, though not
necessarily.

From: Raghu Maddali on
I apologize for miscommunication.I know that Ruby will not have any
pointers and I guess its a variable declared with private access
modifier.Its like

private $config;
$this->config = parse_ini_file('conf/Voyager.ini', true);

So,how would you code this in Ruby?Is that the same

private $config
$self.config=parse_ini_file(....)???

Raghu

From: Fan Zhang on
If you want to access private member variables of a class instance, using @

A quick search reveals this site:

http://www.railsrocket.com/private-member-variables-in-ruby

From: Josh Cheek on

On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Raghu Maddali <raghu1216(a)yahoo.co.in>wrote:

> I apologize for miscommunication.I know that Ruby will not have any
> pointers and I guess its a variable declared with private access
> modifier.Its like
>
> private $config;
> $this->config = parse_ini_file('conf/Voyager.ini', true);
>
> So,how would you code this in Ruby?Is that the same
>
> private $config
> $self.config=parse_ini_file(....)???
>
> Raghu
>
> > presumably you want self.config = parse_ini_file(...) your actual
> > question
> > is a little unclear (I assume you meant to refer to a different
> > language)
> > but you should note that there are no pointers in Ruby, and in the
> > preceeding example, "config=" is a method defined on self, you are not
> > directly setting an instance variable like you would be in Java, but
> > rather
> > invoking a method which probably sets an instance variable, though not
> > necessarily.

In Ruiby, all instance variables are private (hence the need to use the
#config= method)

From within an object, you can access its private instance variables
directly by suing the @ sigil

@config = parse_ini_file(...)

from outside the object, you must use a method.

class Person
def name=(newname)
@name = newname
end