From: Dmitry Torokhov on
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 07:57:54AM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 01:15:52AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > > I don't think you can do that safely in this path, as sysrqs will be looked up
> > > in both process (echo t > /proc/sysrq-trigger) context and in interrupt
> > > (alt-sysrq-t) context. If a mutex is locked and you try to take it in interrupt
> > > context, you get a sleeping-in-interrupt panic IIRC
> > >

> > Yes, indeed. But then even RCU will not really help us since keyboard
> > driver will have inpterrupts disabled anyways.
> >

> Hm, thats true. I suppose the right thing to do then is grab a reference on any
> sysrq implemented within code that might be considered transient before
> releasing the lock. I've not tested this patch out, but it should do what we
> need, in that it allows us to release the lock without having to worry about the
> op list changing underneath us, or having the module with the handler code
> dissappear

That would only help if you also offload execution to a workqueue (which
may not be desirable in all cases) since keyboard driver^H^H input core
still calls into SysRq code holding [another] spinlock with interrupts
disabled.

--
Dmitry
From: Neil Horman on
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 09:38:52AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 07:57:54AM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:

> > > Yes, indeed. But then even RCU will not really help us since keyboard
> > > driver will have inpterrupts disabled anyways.
> > >

> > Hm, thats true. I suppose the right thing to do then is grab a reference on any
> > sysrq implemented within code that might be considered transient before
> > releasing the lock. I've not tested this patch out, but it should do what we
> > need, in that it allows us to release the lock without having to worry about the
> > op list changing underneath us, or having the module with the handler code
> > dissappear
> >

> That would only help if you also offload execution to a workqueue (which
> may not be desirable in all cases) since keyboard driver^H^H input core
> still calls into SysRq code holding [another] spinlock with interrupts
> disabled.

Um, no, I don't think so. The concern that I had with the patch was that after
you unlock that spinlock, a module which previously registered a sysrq handler
could be removed during its execution leaving it executing in unknown memory.
By doing a successful try_module_get we prevent the module remove code from
deleting a module from the kernel, avoiding that condition until the execution
of the requested sysrq handler completes. Offloading execution of the handler
to a workqueue does nothing here, unless you see another problem, independent of
the one I was addressing.

I suppose there is a possibiliy that the o_op value could change after we unlock
the lock, but we could manage that by copying the pointer (although I don't
think its needed unless some module tries to unregister sysrq handlers outside
of the module_exit routine it has.

Neil

From: Andrew Morton on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:54:02 +0800
Xiaotian Feng <dfeng(a)redhat.com> wrote:

> sysrq_key_table_lock is used to protect the sysrq_key_table, make sure
> we get/replace the right operation for the sysrq. But in __handle_sysrq,
> kernel will hold this lock and disable irqs until we finished op_p->handler().
> This may cause false positive watchdog alert when we're doing "show-task-states"
> on a system with many tasks.

It would be better to find a suitable point in an inner loop and add an
appropriately-commented touch_nmi_watchdog().

That way the problem gets fixed for all irqs-off callers, not just one
of them.