From: yorkielover02 on
I have two tables. both with store id fields that i would like to link the
two tables together by. At this point there is a one to many relationship
that should allow for anytime a new store is added that store id is added to
the it table. At this time anytime i add a new store id to the store table it
is not creating a new store in the it table. Any ideas as to why?
From: Al Campagna on
yorkielover02,
You can't maintain relationships by directly editing tables.
That the job of a form, which maintains both tables as data is
entered. Working directly with related table/s is will not work.

Create a form, the main part of which will be based on your primary
table (the ONE table).
Create a subform, based on the related table (the MANY table).
Besides relating them in Relationships, relate them on the form by using
the Parent/Child link.
Now, whenever you add a new ONE store, the subform will be ready to
accept realted MANY records... whether you enter any now... or later.
--
hth
Al Campagna

From: KARL DEWEY on
You seem to have a 'store' table and 'it table'. I assume that the 'store'
table is the one side and that is where you are adding a new record and
expecting it also to appear in the 'it table'. One-to-many relationships do
not work that way.

You also can not add to the many side without first having a record on the
one side.

Maybe I misunderstood you, if so then try and explain it another way for me.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:10:01 -0700, yorkielover02
<yorkielover02(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have two tables. both with store id fields that i would like to link the
>two tables together by.

Is the StoreID an Autonumber in both tables? If so, it will NOT WORK for what
you're proposing.

>At this point there is a one to many relationship
>that should allow for anytime a new store is added that store id is added to
>the it table. At this time anytime i add a new store id to the store table it
>is not creating a new store in the it table. Any ideas as to why?

Relationships don't work that way: a relationship will *prevent* an invalid
record from being added, but it won't (and needn't and shouldn't)
automagically create a new record. What is the "it" table? What information is
stored in the stores table, and what is in this table? What real-life "entity"
(person, thing, or event) does each table model? More info please!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Melissa Brown Melissa on
Maybe I have been reading too long, but which should be the 'one' table? My
example: cuptomers making annula reservations. Is the customer the one table?
should the 'many' be the reservations? or vice versa? The reservations
change, the customer stays the same. If I am making a form for reservations,
does that make the customer the parent on the form or is the reservation form
the parent and then the customer the child?

Help. Al.