From: Phil on
I am using win xp sp2. my taskbar items have all disappeared except for the
clock. I went into msconfig and then startup and the items i want running are
checked. anyone have any thoughts?

thank you, phil
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Why hasn't SP3 been installed by now? [1]

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] Note: Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 "will no longer receive software updates
from Windows Update" (i.e., Automatic Updates will not work and Windows
Update website will not be accessible) until SP3 has been manually
installed.

• What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: proteanthread on
On May 11, 5:28 pm, Phil <P...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am using win xp sp2. my taskbar items have all disappeared except for the
> clock. I went into msconfig and then startup and the items i want running are
> checked. anyone have any thoughts?
>
> thank you, phil

Are you running home or pro? may want to check your group policy
objects if running pro or open regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies" AND / OR
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies"
and double check those values.
From: VanguardLH on
Phil wrote:

> I am using win xp sp2. my taskbar items have all disappeared except for the
> clock. I went into msconfig and then startup and the items i want running are
> checked. anyone have any thoughts?
>
> thank you, phil

Items have disappeared WHERE in the Windows taskbar? In the toolbar area
(where you add shortcuts to programs)? In the button area (where you see
buttons show up for apps that you load)? Or in the system notification area
(aka system tray) for status icons of some of your running apps?

If you are asking about the tray icons (in the system tray) then maybe you
configured them to be always hidden. Is there a chevron ("<<") shown on the
left-side of the system tray? If so, click on it to expand the system tray
to see the hidden tray icons. If you move the mouse cursor outside the
system tray when it is expanded then it will automatically collapse again.

Right-click on a blank spot in the Windows taskbar and select Properties
from the context menu. Under the Taskbar tab, check if you have the option
to hide inactive tray icons. If so then the Customize button is enabled to
let you configure which buttons are always shown, always hiddden, or hidden
only when inactive.

If there is no chevron to expand the system tray and you see no tray icons
then maybe you configure the system tray to not show icons (and only show
the clock). There is a registry tweak to disable the display of tray icons.
I never remember what it is. There are many tweaker programs that can
change the value in the registry. The one I know of is TweakUI, a powertoy
from Microsoft. Under its "Taskbar and Start menu" tree node, you'll see
one called:

Show taskbar notification icons

Make sure it is enabled. If it is enabled but you don't see the tray icons,
disable the setting, logoff and logon, and enable it again. You have to
logoff and logon to effect this setting.
From: Phil on
it is win xp home version, i'm using panda for my antivirus and also the
firewall. I alsi have spybot search and destroy for anti spyware. I have also
tried going to properties to be sure not just hidden.

thank you, Phil