From: Nathan Rixham on
Nathan Rixham wrote:
> tedd wrote:
>> Now, back to the question at hand -- what price would you sell a line
>> of your code for?

Just realised I responded to the wrong question - the answer was how I'd
approach the original question "What do you think he was paid?"

For myself, I wouldn't place a price on a single line of code, you can
have one for free :) if you want me to do 25,000 lines of code then
it'll be circa �1 GBP per line, seeing as you aren't considering any of
the other factors. Unless it's open source as I cc-zero all my open
source / community stuff.

> Interesting case and question Tedd! Quite sure we all realise the answer
> is not black and white but various shades of grey, and I wouldn't fancy
> doing this for real - however, given the assumption that it was
> technically solid code "average", and assuming it was a functional
> approach (as in there wasn't chunks of domain schema classes with
> nothing but getters and setters around / boiler plate junk), then:
>
> 35-40 cents per line
>
> The approach I've taken to working it out is to try and average out
> lines of code produced per 8 hour working day, allowing time for
> research, decision making, minor code reduction and refactoring, then
> adding a small offset for any time spend on documentation which would
> show further understanding and confidence in the code + make it more
> usable. Whitespace and a coding styles which produce more lines but the
> same amount of code not included. I've also made a small adjustment for
> the 'several years ago' all though I'm assuming this to be early 2000s
> and not the 1970s ;)
>
> Anywhere near?
>
> ps: tedd, please cc me in to the final answer as I won't have time to
> check the list for a while, and I'm quite interested in this one - kudos
> to you if you managed to do it and get both parties happy with the
> result though!
>
> Best,
>
> Nathan

First  |  Prev  |