From: gloucester county gloucester on
In cell A1 I typed s1.5 in cell A2 I typed s2 how do I add the values to
equal s3.5?
From: Mike H on
Hi,

I wouldn't start from having numbers and letters in the same cell but if you
must

=LEFT(A1,1)&MID(A1,2,LEN(A1))+MID(A2,2,LEN(A2))

Why not use a custom format for the cell of

"s"0.0

Now you can sum them using sum
--
Mike

question.

From: Jacob Skaria on
Try
=SUMPRODUCT(--SUBSTITUTE(A1:A2,"s",))

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

From: tim m on

"gloucester county" wrote:

> In cell A1 I typed s1.5 in cell A2 I typed s2 how do I add the values to
> equal s3.5?

There are probably more efficient ways to do this but I experimented and
this seems to work.

Insert a column and enter the following formula:

=(RIGHT(A1,(LEN(A1)-1))*1)

Copy that formula down the length of your calculations.

In the cell where you want the sum insert this formula:

="s"&SUM(D1:D2)

Depending on how many of these you need to do it would be easier probably to
enter them separately as text and number and then combine the s to the number
after the fact.