From: VK on
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

<snip>

> > - wrap attribute
> > doesn't set a *representation mode*
>
> Stop babbling and check the facts. What's so difficult in actually
> looking at how browsers work?

With my pleasure. It is not clear though why it was necessary to wait 7
years until someone VK will make the job of the relevant W3C members(?)
My original statement first once again, OK?

"WRAP attribute in textarea is not a representation attribute despite
it has direct by secondary representation effect. This attribute
governes of how textarea data are treated and submitted".
A conclusion from this statement would be that it cannot be adequately
replaced by CSS representation rules - and never could, that is the
main reason it existed, existed and will ever exist.

Now the test (watch breaks, <textarea... strings should be on one line)
- let's go first by IE's model ("hard", "soft", "off"):

<head>
<title>WRAP test</title>
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<form method="GET" action="">
<textarea name="ta01" cols="8" rows="4" wrap="OFF">Looooooooong
line</textarea>
<textarea name="ta02" cols="8" rows="4" wrap="SOFT">Looooooooong
line</textarea>
<textarea name="ta03" cols="8" rows="4" wrap="HARD">Looooooooong
line</textarea>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

> >>You didn't bother actually testing such matters, did you?
> >
> > I'm not testing - I'm using.
>
> So when giving advice in future, will you be honest and precede your
> advice with a statement that says that you describe what you have been
> using, without actually checking the specifications _or_ actual browser
> behavior in recent years?

Briefly and plainly (in continuation of my original request to W3C made
not a while ago): how soon we can expect HTML DTD's taken out of the
freezer (as they are "frozen" as one explained to me since 1999) and
brought back into usable condition?

I am not trolling: I am asking a very practical question from a person
who presumably may answer on it.

From: VK on

VK wrote:
> "WRAP attribute in textarea is not a representation attribute despite
> it has direct by secondary representation effect.

"WRAP attribute in textarea is not a representation attribute despite
it has a direct but secondary representation effect.

From: Jukka K. Korpela on
VK wrote:

> Now the test (watch breaks, <textarea... strings should be on one line)
> - let's go first by IE's model ("hard", "soft", "off"):

Your way of saying that you were totally wrong in your advocation of
"physical" and "logical" is implicit but clear. Your attempt to
obfuscate this simple thing by pointless snippets of code, confused
attacks at the W3C, etc., makes it also rather clear that you have
decided to act destructively. Don't be surprised if you'll be ignored.
From: VK on

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> VK wrote:
>
> > Now the test (watch breaks, <textarea... strings should be on one line)
> > - let's go first by IE's model ("hard", "soft", "off"):
>
> Your way of saying that you were totally wrong in your advocation of
> "physical" and "logical" is implicit but clear.

I'm still not clear where did you get "logical" value. From my side it
was a typo instead of proper "virtual". And yes "hard/soft/off" have
better coverage taking into account the prevailing UA. By your
consideration it solves the problem of missing "wrap" in DTD anyhow?

> Your attempt to
> obfuscate this simple thing by pointless snippets of code, confused
> attacks at the W3C, etc., makes it also rather clear that you have
> decided to act destructively.

"pointless snippets of code"? Sorry, but did you actually try it? I
made it method="get" so one could see the submission dump in the
address bar. Did you look at new line escape sequences for off / soft /
hard?

But the main answer I guess is that HTML DTD's are frozen and will stay
frozen forever? Well, negative answer is still an answer. Let's wait
another year to come back to the same question.

> Don't be surprised if you'll be ignored.

Don't be surprised if W3C DTD be (forcely) ignored.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Next: CSS and plain text