From: Charles Gregory on
On Tue, 4 May 2010, Nataraj wrote:
> I do not have a front end on my mailserver. All incoming mail comes directly
> into postfix. I am running a vpostmaster install which is not a front end,

I'm not an expert on this, but your machine ID's with 'vpostmaster' in the
greeting, so that means it is pretty tightly integrated, if not in fact a
front-end. So I would go through your vpostmaster settings. You may have
specified something as seconds when it is meant to be hundredths, etc...

- C

From: Nataraj on
Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, 4 May 2010, Nataraj wrote:
>> I do not have a front end on my mailserver. All incoming mail comes
>> directly into postfix. I am running a vpostmaster install which is
>> not a front end,
>
> I'm not an expert on this, but your machine ID's with 'vpostmaster' in
> the greeting, so that means it is pretty tightly integrated, if not in
> fact a front-end. So I would go through your vpostmaster settings. You
> may have specified something as seconds when it is meant to be
> hundredths, etc...
>
> - C

It means that the mail_name parameter is set in /etc/postfix/main.cf
See:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#mail_name

I am extensively familiar with my main.cf file and am aware of exactly
what changes have been made. This mail server has been running stably
for years and I am not yet aware of changes to the mail configuration
files surrounding the time when this problem came up.

There are quite a number of mailserver packages out their that use
postfix as the MTA. I'm extensively familiar with the architectures of
both the postfix and vpostmaster systems and I assure you that there is
no front end. The port 25 service on my mailserver is the postfix
smtpd. Vpostmaster, is simply a policy and transport agent with spam
management and a web based GUI for management. It's quite nice and I
highly recommend it to people.

Nataraj

From: Wietse Venema on
Nataraj:
> I am extensively familiar with my main.cf file and am aware of exactly
> what changes have been made. This mail server has been running stably
> for years and I am not yet aware of changes to the mail configuration
> files surrounding the time when this problem came up.
>
> There are quite a number of mailserver packages out their that use
> postfix as the MTA. I'm extensively familiar with the architectures of
> both the postfix and vpostmaster systems and I assure you that there is
> no front end. The port 25 service on my mailserver is the postfix
> smtpd. Vpostmaster, is simply a policy and transport agent with spam
> management and a web based GUI for management. It's quite nice and I
> highly recommend it to people.

If the Postfix SMTP server hangs after 10s and no such smtpd_timeout
is in main.cf, then either the smtpd_timeout value is taken from
master.cf, or it is taken from a different main.cf file.

It is worthwhile at this point to do

find / -name main.cf -ls

and see what shows up.

Wietse

From: Charles Gregory on
On Tue, 4 May 2010, Nataraj wrote:

> I am extensively familiar with my main.cf file and am aware of exactly what
> changes have been made. This mail server has been running stably for years
> and I am not yet aware of changes to the mail configuration files
> surrounding the time when this problem came up.

Then maybe it is not the postfix alone that has the problem?
Try a manual telnet to port 110 and see if you get the same quick
timeout.....?

- C

From: Nataraj on
Wietse Venema wrote:
> Nataraj:
>
>> I am extensively familiar with my main.cf file and am aware of exactly
>> what changes have been made. This mail server has been running stably
>> for years and I am not yet aware of changes to the mail configuration
>> files surrounding the time when this problem came up.
>>
>> There are quite a number of mailserver packages out their that use
>> postfix as the MTA. I'm extensively familiar with the architectures of
>> both the postfix and vpostmaster systems and I assure you that there is
>> no front end. The port 25 service on my mailserver is the postfix
>> smtpd. Vpostmaster, is simply a policy and transport agent with spam
>> management and a web based GUI for management. It's quite nice and I
>> highly recommend it to people.
>>

> If the Postfix SMTP server hangs after 10s and no such smtpd_timeout
> is in main.cf, then either the smtpd_timeout value is taken from
> master.cf, or it is taken from a different main.cf file.
>
> It is worthwhile at this point to do
>
> find / -name main.cf -ls
>
> and see what shows up.
>
> Wietse

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses. I've narrowed the problem
down further, though it is not solved yet. It does not appear to be
specific to postfix. I've written a simple program with a select
statement that delays 10 seconds when run on any of my own computers,
but when run on the virtual machine hosting my mailserver it returns
immediately. I'm suspecting a vmware related problem, but I don't know
yet...

Here's the program....

#include <stdio.h>
/* #include <sys/select.h> */
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main() {
fd_set set;
struct timeval timeout;
int filedes = STDIN_FILENO;

FD_ZERO (&set);
FD_SET (filedes, &set);

timeout.tv_sec = 10;
timeout.tv_usec = 0;

select(FD_SETSIZE, &set, NULL, NULL, &timeout);

}