From: Mike Jones on
Responding to William Hunt:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Mike Jones wrote:
>> Responding to Sylvain Robitaille:
>>> Check your spelling, and look *inside* the files in var/adm/packages.
>>> For example, on a Slackware-13.0 system:
>>> : charlotte[syl] ~; grep -rls bin/timeout /var/adm/packages
>>> /var/adm/packages/coreutils-7.4-i486-1
>>
>> 'Tain't in there on 12.2.
>
> yes it is:
>
> $ cat /etc/slackware-version
> Slackware 12.2.0
> $ type timeout
> timeout is /usr/bin/timeout
> $ grep usr/bin/timeout$ /var/log/packages/*
> /var/log/packages/netatalk-2.0.3-i486-1:usr/bin/timeout
>
> :*)

And William gets the biscuit!

I checked /var/log/packages on the fresh and the old partitions. Sure
enough, the old one still had netatalk, but the new one didn't. I must
have left it in the old one, but skipped what looked like unwanted Apple
printer stuff with the new. This is how come I had the timeout binary on
the old partition.

Nice sleuthing there!

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: William Hunt on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Mike Jones wrote:

> Responding to William Hunt:
>> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Mike Jones wrote:
>>> Responding to Sylvain Robitaille:
>> /var/log/packages/netatalk-2.0.3-i486-1:usr/bin/timeout
>> :*)
>
> And William gets the biscuit!

w00t! w00t!

> I checked /var/log/packages on the fresh and the old partitions. Sure
> enough, the old one still had netatalk, but the new one didn't. I must
> have left it in the old one, but skipped what looked like unwanted Apple
> printer stuff with the new. This is how come I had the timeout binary on
> the old partition.
> Nice sleuthing there!

Installing Slackware, sometimes it is beneficial to be lazy.
I never upgrade in place, too much effort.

I used to pick + choose packages, back in the day when
a 300MB disk was big stuff :*) but i got bit once by a
similar missing package, and now i do full installs,
skipping only E Y and sometimes X. This also makes it
easier to write up an install log document (/root/setup/log).

Now i install everything into a 5 or 10GB partition with a
spare of the same size for the next upgrade, and /home, /tmp,
/var/log, /slackware, and /pub mounted from bigger and
non-upgrading storage. (mount -o bind is handy).

HTH, Praise Bob, RTFM STFW and GAFC
--
William Hunt, Portland Oregon USA
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to William Hunt:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Mike Jones wrote:
>
>> Responding to William Hunt:
> [...]
>>> /var/log/packages/netatalk-2.0.3-i486-1:usr/bin/timeout
>>> :*)
>>
>> And William gets the biscuit!
>
> w00t! w00t!
>

>> I checked /var/log/packages on the fresh and the old partitions. Sure
>> enough, the old one still had netatalk, but the new one didn't. I must
>> have left it in the old one, but skipped what looked like unwanted
>> Apple printer stuff with the new. This is how come I had the timeout
>> binary on the old partition.
>> Nice sleuthing there!
>
> Installing Slackware, sometimes it is beneficial to be lazy. I never
> upgrade in place, too much effort.
>
> I used to pick + choose packages, back in the day when a 300MB disk was
> big stuff :*) but i got bit once by a similar missing package, and now i
> do full installs, skipping only E Y and sometimes X. This also makes it
> easier to write up an install log document (/root/setup/log).
>
> Now i install everything into a 5 or 10GB partition with a spare of the
> same size for the next upgrade, and /home, /tmp, /var/log, /slackware,
> and /pub mounted from bigger and non-upgrading storage. (mount -o bind
> is handy).

I'm still trimming my never-quite-finished auto-post-setup package. The
timeout binary is already in there. ;)

> HTH, Praise Bob, RTFM STFW and GAFC

Word to live by indeed. %)

(Hail Eris!)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.

Pages: 1
Prev: Alt.OS.Linux.Slackware FAQ pointer
Next: test