From: "Daniel L. Miller" on
Victor Duchovni wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 11:33:48AM -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>

>> 192.168.0.110:126 inet n - - - - smtpd
>> -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
>> -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
>> -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
>>
>> connect with Thunderbird to this address & port set to TLS - works. SSL
>> does not.
>>

> Why do you expect SMTP after SSL to work on a port that supports SSL
> after SMTP?
>
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_wrappermode

Ok - inferring from that, I tried:
192.168.0.110:128 inet n - - - - smtpd
-o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
-o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes

Now connecting from Thunderbird SSL works - TLS does not. Just
confirming - is this expected and proper behaviour?

--
Daniel

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:30:21PM -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:

> Ok - inferring from that, I tried:
> 192.168.0.110:128 inet n - - - - smtpd
> -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
> -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
> -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
>
> Now connecting from Thunderbird SSL works - TLS does not. Just confirming
> - is this expected and proper behaviour?

Yes, of course. SSL after SMTP won't work with a service that runs SMTP
after SSL. The "SMTP inside SSL" service and "SSL inside SMTP" services
are not inter-operable and cannot be deployed on the same port.

The "SMTP over SSL" service (wrappermode=yes) is a legacy non-standard
service and should be phased out once all clients support "SSL over SMTP"
(aka STARTTLS).

--
Viktor.

From: Noel Jones on
On 3/2/2010 2:30 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Victor Duchovni wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 11:33:48AM -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>>
>>> 192.168.0.110:126 inet n - - - - smtpd
>>> -o smtpd_tls_security_level=may
>>> -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
>>> -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
>>>
>>> connect with Thunderbird to this address & port set to TLS - works.
>>> SSL does not.
>>
>> Why do you expect SMTP after SSL to work on a port that supports SSL
>> after SMTP?
>>
>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtpd_tls_wrappermode
> Ok - inferring from that, I tried:
> 192.168.0.110:128 inet n - - - - smtpd
> -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes
> -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes
> -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
>
> Now connecting from Thunderbird SSL works - TLS does not. Just
> confirming - is this expected and proper behaviour?

Yes, that's expected. SSL wrappermode is incompatible with
standard SMTP or STARTTLS.

Typically wrappermode is specified only on port 465, which is
commonly referred to as the smtps port.

-- Noel Jones