From: Alex Dupre on
Hi All,
I prepared a port for the new beta (7.0.0) release of apache tomcat 7.
The tarball is available here: http://www.alexdupre.com/tomcat7.tar.gz
The current tomcat6 port is full of (IMHO) useless variables and
variable substitutions, so I decided to cut them down and simplify the
port a lot. Test it, if you are interested.

--
Alex Dupre

From: Mike Jakubik on
On 7/2/2010 6:33 AM, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Hi All,
> I prepared a port for the new beta (7.0.0) release of apache tomcat 7.
> The tarball is available here: http://www.alexdupre.com/tomcat7.tar.gz
> The current tomcat6 port is full of (IMHO) useless variables and
> variable substitutions, so I decided to cut them down and simplify the
> port a lot. Test it, if you are interested.

Thanks for the port. It looks like you droped support for the
tomcat60_user variable (which user to run tomcat as), this is quite
useful here. Any particular reason for this?

From: Alex Dupre on
Mike Jakubik ha scritto:
> Thanks for the port. It looks like you droped support for the
> tomcat60_user variable (which user to run tomcat as), this is quite
> useful here. Any particular reason for this?

To simplify the port and because it's common in FreeBSD that web servers
use the www user. Is there a reason because apache should use the www
user, while tomcat should let the user choose?

--
Alex Dupre

From: joris dedieu on
2010/7/12 Alex Dupre <ale(a)freebsd.org>:
> Mike Jakubik ha scritto:
>> Thanks for the port. It looks like you droped support for the
>> tomcat60_user variable (which user to run tomcat as), this is quite
>> useful here. Any particular reason for this?
>
> To simplify the port and because it's common in FreeBSD that web servers
> use the www user. Is there a reason because apache should use the www
> user, while tomcat should let the user choose?
In apache you can set user and group directives on the config file.
I do not think you can do so with tomcat. So tomcat_user is a facility
to thoses
who like to have a single daemon per user (or a single user per daemon :)

If you decide to keep it has it, you may change hard coded www with
WWWOWN and WWWGRP
has recommended in porters handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/using-php.html#WEB-APPS
Joris

From: Mike Jakubik on
On 7/12/2010 11:39 AM, Alex Dupre wrote:
> Mike Jakubik ha scritto:
>
>> Thanks for the port. It looks like you droped support for the
>> tomcat60_user variable (which user to run tomcat as), this is quite
>> useful here. Any particular reason for this?
>>
> To simplify the port and because it's common in FreeBSD that web servers
> use the www user. Is there a reason because apache should use the www
> user, while tomcat should let the user choose?

Yes, i unfortunately require some of my tomcat servers to run on port
80. The Apache web server forks off as www but starts as root. Tomcat
cant do that, unless you use jsvc, which the port does not.