From: Karsten Mehrhoff on
Hi, i just compiled the 2.6.35-git3 kernel on my computer using debian 64
bit as i did with all other kernels before.
Booting the git2/3 kernel results in a kernel panic because of
/sbin/tomoyo-init.

No problem with the 2.6.35 kernel.

I've to remane /sbin/tomoyo-init to boot the kernel.
Now i purged tomoyo-tools version 2.2.0-20100225 (aptitude purge
tomoyo-tool) and everything works ok.
Sorry, i forgot to backup the tomoyo-init script.

$ uname -a
Linux xxxxxx 2.6.35-git3 #4 SMP Fri Aug 6 15:22:08 CEST 2010 x86_64
GNU/Linux

Karsten
From: Jiri Kosina on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Tetsuo Handa wrote:

> > Hi, i just compiled the 2.6.35-git3 kernel on my computer using debian 64 bit
> > as i did with all other kernels before.
> > Booting the git2/3 kernel results in a kernel panic because of
> > /sbin/tomoyo-init.
> >
> > No problem with the 2.6.35 kernel.
> >
> > I've to remane /sbin/tomoyo-init to boot the kernel.
> > Now i purged tomoyo-tools version 2.2.0-20100225 (aptitude purge tomoyo-tool) and everything works ok.
> > Sorry, i forgot to backup the tomoyo-init script.
> >
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux xxxxxx 2.6.35-git3 #4 SMP Fri Aug 6 15:22:08 CEST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Thank you for using TOMOYO. TOMOYO has changed a lot in 2.6.36. Therefore,
> you need to upgrade tomoyo-tools package. I'm testing it now.
> You can upgrade it by doing
>
> # wget -O tomoyo-tools.tar.gz 'http://sourceforge.jp/projects/tomoyo/svn/view/trunk/2.3.x/tomoyo-tools.tar.gz?root=tomoyo&view=tar'
> # tar -zxf tomoyo-tools.tar.gz
> # make -C tomoyo-tools/ install
>
> Then, please delete (or rename) /etc/tomoyo/ directory and run
> /usr/lib/tomoyo/init_policy .
>
> Please see http://tomoyo.sourceforge.jp/2.3/ for more information.

Still, if a legacy userspace application is able to cause kernel panic,
that sounds like something we'd rather fix immediately.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

From: Karsten Mehrhoff on
[Am 10.08.2010, 22:14 Uhr, schrieb Tetsuo Handa
<penguin-kernel(a)i-love.sakura.ne.jp>]

> Jiri Kosina wrote:
>> Still, if a legacy userspace application is able to cause kernel panic,
>> that sounds like something we'd rather fix immediately.
>
> I assume the panic message which Karsten encountered is either
>
> Profile version %u is not supported.
>
> or
>
> Profile %u (used by '%s') not defined.
>
> which happens only if access control rules (a.k.a. policy) was not
> loaded when /sbin/init starts.
>
> If what Karsten encountered is not the cases above,
> I agree that we need to fix immediately.
>
> Regards.

The panic message was:
> Profile %u (used by '%s') not defined.

Profile 0 (used by '0') not defined.

Regards

Karsten
From: Jiri Kosina on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Karsten Mehrhoff wrote:

> > > Still, if a legacy userspace application is able to cause kernel panic,
> > > that sounds like something we'd rather fix immediately.
> >
> > I assume the panic message which Karsten encountered is either
> >
> > Profile version %u is not supported.
> >
> > or
> >
> > Profile %u (used by '%s') not defined.
> >
> > which happens only if access control rules (a.k.a. policy) was not
> > loaded when /sbin/init starts.
> >
> > If what Karsten encountered is not the cases above,
> > I agree that we need to fix immediately.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> The panic message was:
> > Profile %u (used by '%s') not defined.
>
> Profile 0 (used by '0') not defined.

Looking at the code ...

void tomoyo_check_profile(void)
{
struct tomoyo_domain_info *domain;
const int idx = tomoyo_read_lock();
tomoyo_policy_loaded = true;
/* Check all profiles currently assigned to domains are defined. */
list_for_each_entry_rcu(domain, &tomoyo_domain_list, list) {
const u8 profile = domain->profile;
if (tomoyo_profile_ptr[profile])
continue;
panic("Profile %u (used by '%s') not defined.\n",
profile, domain->domainname->name);
}
tomoyo_read_unlock(idx);
if (tomoyo_profile_version != 20090903)
panic("Profile version %u is not supported.\n",
tomoyo_profile_version);
printk(KERN_INFO "TOMOYO: 2.3.0\n");
printk(KERN_INFO "Mandatory Access Control activated.\n");
}

makes one wonder whether not having up-to-date userspace really does
qualify for unconditional kernel panic.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.