From: Fabian Marin on
Robert Klemme wrote:

> I would create these tools:
>
> 1. schema extractor into a standard format which you define (could be an
> XML representation or just marshalled object model).
>
> 2. diff for the standard format schema (two way, maybe also three way)
>
> 3. maybe also a converter from a given DDL to the standard format so you
> do not have to go through the DB although this might be fragile since
> the actual DB's settings may influence how the schema eventually looks.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Robert, wouldn't an AR model fit the bill for the marshalled object
model in item #1 in your list? We're thinking similarly here. As long
as you can transform information into a common intermediate format, you
will be able to control it and digest it in useful ways. That info can
come from a DB schema, a DDL file or any other form

From: Roger Pack on

> I have a DDL file that describes the entire Data Model of an
> application.

Is this just for oracle then?
I wrote one once for mysql :)
-r

From: Fabian Marin on
Roger Pack wrote:

>> I have a DDL file that describes the entire Data Model of an
>> application.
>
> Is this just for oracle then?
> I wrote one once for mysql :)
> -r

Actually this would be for DB2. I'm not particularly fond of it but
I'll let you guess why in my project we have no choice in what DBMS
vendor to go with. I want it to at least work for DB2; whether expanding
to other vendors would benefit anyone would depend on whether there is
no open source tool for the job already.

Roger, what was it that you wrote once for mysql? Could you comment a
bit more on it?

Ah mysql, how I miss thee ...

From: Roger Pack on
> Roger, what was it that you wrote once for mysql? Could you comment a
> bit more on it?

http://rubyforge.org/projects/table-syncer/
The only thing I've heard about db2 have been from antonio's blog:
http://programmingzen.com/
GL.
-r

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Chat client
Next: multidimensional array insert syntax