From: Rahul on
I've played with Cricket, Cacti, MRTG etc. before to monitor network
traffic but I've always done this by querying the switches concerned. Is
there a way to do something similar on the server side?

The reason for this is that this time around I don't have "root" access
over the switches. So rather than go through all the political channels to
get the SNMP access to the switches it'd be quicker to monitor from the
servers themselves where I do have complete control.

Any tools that can do this? Or at a more of a "hack" level can I get an
indirect idea of network activity by monitoring some kernel network
variable? After all the eth card must know how many packets it sent /
recieced, right?

--
Rahul
From: Arimus on
On Jul 28, 12:27 am, Rahul <nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
[snip]

> Any tools that can do this? Or at a more of a "hack" level can I get an
> indirect idea of network activity by monitoring some kernel network
> variable? After all the eth card must know how many packets it sent /
> recieced, right?
>
> --
> Rahul

What info do you want? If you have root access to the servers stick
net-snmp on the servers and you'll get the majority of the information
you can get from a switch/router etc...

Otherwise look at something like ntop (http://www.ntop.org)
From: Joe Beanfish on
On 07/28/10 04:29, Arimus wrote:
> On Jul 28, 12:27 am, Rahul<nos...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Any tools that can do this? Or at a more of a "hack" level can I get an
>> indirect idea of network activity by monitoring some kernel network
>> variable? After all the eth card must know how many packets it sent /
>> recieced, right?
>>
>> --
>> Rahul
>
> What info do you want? If you have root access to the servers stick
> net-snmp on the servers and you'll get the majority of the information
> you can get from a switch/router etc...
>
> Otherwise look at something like ntop (http://www.ntop.org)

iptables also has some accounting abilities.
From: Arimus on
On Jul 28, 6:41 pm, Joe Beanfish <j...(a)nospam.duh> wrote:

> iptables also has some accounting abilities.

It does but using net-snmp the OP will retain the functionality he's
used to via mrtg and via ntop you've got the web front end provided,
also needs alot less poking around...
From: Rahul on
Arimus <arimus.uk(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:048e21eb-7f59-4065-832c-
a235fa825c96(a)x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

> What info do you want? If you have root access to the servers stick
> net-snmp on the servers and you'll get the majority of the information
> you can get from a switch/router etc...

Thanks! I do have root access to the server. I want some pretty basic info:
e.g. bandwidth used.

--
Rahul