From: Andrew Morton on
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:55:54 -0300
Rajiv Andrade <srajiv(a)linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> > (top-posting repaired. Please don't do that).
> >
> > This wasn't a very good way to send a patch. I edited the diff,
> > reconstructed the patch and then assembled a decent-looking changelog.
> > I also changed your acked-by to the required signed-off-by, because you
> > were on the patch's delivery path.
> >
> > Pretty please: next time, prepare a proper mergeable patch with the
> > correct attributions and signoffs? Thanks.
>
> Sure, sorry. I was just not certain if I could just resent Helmut's patch to LKML without messing with his authorship.

You can. Put his "From:" line right at the top of the changelog and
everyone's patch-receiving tools will honour that. If the From: at the
top of the changelog is absent, the tools will fall back to using the
From: line in the mail headers.

From: Helmut Schaa on
Hi,

Am Mittwoch 23 Juni 2010 schrieb Andrew Morton:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:55:54 -0300
> Rajiv Andrade <srajiv(a)linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > > (top-posting repaired. Please don't do that).
> > >
> > > This wasn't a very good way to send a patch. I edited the diff,
> > > reconstructed the patch and then assembled a decent-looking changelog.
> > > I also changed your acked-by to the required signed-off-by, because you
> > > were on the patch's delivery path.
> > >
> > > Pretty please: next time, prepare a proper mergeable patch with the
> > > correct attributions and signoffs? Thanks.
> >
> > Sure, sorry. I was just not certain if I could just resent Helmut's patch to LKML without messing with his authorship.
>
> You can. Put his "From:" line right at the top of the changelog and
> everyone's patch-receiving tools will honour that. If the From: at the
> top of the changelog is absent, the tools will fall back to using the
> From: line in the mail headers.

This patch still didn't make it into mainline and it fixes a regression.
Rajiv, do you plan to resubmit the patch or did you expect it to go through
Andrew's tree?

Thanks,
Helmut
From: Andrew Morton on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:07:51 +0200 Helmut Schaa <helmut.schaa(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch 23 Juni 2010 schrieb Andrew Morton:

> > > Sure, sorry. I was just not certain if I could just resent Helmut's patch to LKML without messing with his authorship.
> >
> > You can. Put his "From:" line right at the top of the changelog and
> > everyone's patch-receiving tools will honour that. If the From: at the
> > top of the changelog is absent, the tools will fall back to using the
> > From: line in the mail headers.
>
> This patch still didn't make it into mainline and it fixes a regression.
> Rajiv, do you plan to resubmit the patch or did you expect it to go through
> Andrew's tree?

The patch is presently parked in James's linux-next tree.
From: Rajiv Andrade on

On Jul 23, 2010, at 9:07 AM, Helmut Schaa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch 23 Juni 2010 schrieb Andrew Morton:

>>> Sure, sorry. I was just not certain if I could just resent Helmut's patch to LKML without messing with his authorship.
>>
>> You can. Put his "From:" line right at the top of the changelog and
>> everyone's patch-receiving tools will honour that. If the From: at the
>> top of the changelog is absent, the tools will fall back to using the
>> From: line in the mail headers.
>
> This patch still didn't make it into mainline and it fixes a regression.
> Rajiv, do you plan to resubmit the patch or did you expect it to go through
> Andrew's tree?

Hi Helmut,

I expected it to make into Andrew's tree, since his recommendations were for the next time I submit a patch that matched the circumstances of this one, also, he mentioned he had to fix the issues by hand.

Andrew, do you want me to resubmit it? If so, I'm more than ok with that too though.

Thanks,
Rajiv