From: Felipe W Damasio on
Hi Mr. Dumazet,

2010/7/11 Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet(a)gmail.com>:
> Felipe, please describe your configuration as much as possible.
> It might be a driver bug with with special kind of network frames.
>
> lsmod
> lspci -v
> ethtool -k eth0
> ethtool -k eth1 (if applicable)

Sure.

lsmod is empty. Though .config is attached.

We're using eth1 facing the user and eth2 facing the internet.

ethtool -k eth1
Offload parameters for eth1:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp segmentation offload: on
udp fragmentation offload: off
generic segmentation offload: on

ethtool -k eth2
Offload parameters for eth2:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp segmentation offload: on
udp fragmentation offload: off
generic segmentation offload: on

Dmesg output from a normal boot is also attached.

Cheers,

Felipe Damasio
From: Felipe W Damasio on
Hi Mr. Dumazet,

2010/7/11 Felipe W Damasio <felipewd(a)gmail.com>:
> We're using eth1 facing the user and eth2 facing the internet.

Here's the result using ethtool-2.6.34:

../ethtool -k eth1

Offload parameters for eth1:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp-segmentation-offload: on
udp-fragmentation-offload: off
generic-segmentation-offload: on
generic-receive-offload: off
large-receive-offload: off
ntuple-filters: off
receive-hashing: off

From: Felipe W Damasio on
Hi Mr. Dumazet,

2010/7/12 Felipe W Damasio <felipewd(a)gmail.com>:
> Here's the result using ethtool-2.6.34:
>
> ./ethtool -k eth1
>
> Offload parameters for eth1:
> rx-checksumming: on
> tx-checksumming: on
> scatter-gather: on
> tcp-segmentation-offload: on
> udp-fragmentation-offload: off
> generic-segmentation-offload: on
> generic-receive-offload: off
> large-receive-offload: off
> ntuple-filters: off
> receive-hashing: off
>

> ./ethtool -k eth2
>
> Offload parameters for eth2:
> rx-checksumming: on
> tx-checksumming: on
> scatter-gather: on
> tcp-segmentation-offload: on
> udp-fragmentation-offload: off
> generic-segmentation-offload: on
> generic-receive-offload: off
> large-receive-offload: off
> ntuple-filters: off
> receive-hashing: off

Did these help you track down the issue?

Sorry to insist, it's just that my bosses are kind of pressuring me to
solve the problem and put the squid machine back online :-)

Is there a test I can run to try and trigger the issue?

I have the same scenario (hardware and network setup) on my lab...

Cheers,

Felipe Damasio
From: Eric Dumazet on
Le mardi 13 juillet 2010 à 11:24 -0300, Felipe W Damasio a écrit :
> Hi Mr. Dumazet,
>
> 2010/7/12 Felipe W Damasio <felipewd(a)gmail.com>:
> > Here's the result using ethtool-2.6.34:
> >
> > ./ethtool -k eth1
> >
> > Offload parameters for eth1:
> > rx-checksumming: on
> > tx-checksumming: on
> > scatter-gather: on
> > tcp-segmentation-offload: on
> > udp-fragmentation-offload: off
> > generic-segmentation-offload: on
> > generic-receive-offload: off
> > large-receive-offload: off
> > ntuple-filters: off
> > receive-hashing: off
> >

> > ./ethtool -k eth2
> >
> > Offload parameters for eth2:
> > rx-checksumming: on
> > tx-checksumming: on
> > scatter-gather: on
> > tcp-segmentation-offload: on
> > udp-fragmentation-offload: off
> > generic-segmentation-offload: on
> > generic-receive-offload: off
> > large-receive-offload: off
> > ntuple-filters: off
> > receive-hashing: off
>
> Did these help you track down the issue?
>
> Sorry to insist, it's just that my bosses are kind of pressuring me to
> solve the problem and put the squid machine back online :-)
>
> Is there a test I can run to try and trigger the issue?
>
> I have the same scenario (hardware and network setup) on my lab...

I currently have no fresh ideas. If you want this problem to be solved,
its important to setup in your lab a workload to trigger again and again
the bug, in order to provide us more crash information.

After code review doesnt spot obvious bugs, this is time for brute force
hunting, using git bisection for example...

From: Felipe W Damasio on
Hi Mr. Dumazet,

2010/7/13 Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet(a)gmail.com>:
> I currently have no fresh ideas. If you want this problem to be solved,
> its important to setup in your lab a workload to trigger again and again
> the bug, in order to provide us more crash information.

Right. I've been running non-stop since the first bug happened, but
so far the problem hasn't surfaced again :-(

I've been using the kernel with the patch that you provided me
(nf_tproxy.c). Is there a chance that patch fixed the problem?

Cheers,

Felipe Damasio