From: Steven Rostedt on
On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 23:30 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Steven Rostedt (rostedt(a)goodmis.org) wrote:
> > From: Steven Rostedt <srostedt(a)redhat.com>
> >
> > The filter_active and enable both use an int (4 bytes each) to
> > set a single flag. We can save 4 bytes per event by combining the
> > two into a single integer.
> >

> I would also comment about flags read-side:
>
> * Flags are read concurrently without locking.

That can go in outside this patch set. As we discussed before, the
filter_active which does the same today as flags does here also has the
issue you are concerned with. IOW, this issue has nothing to do with
this patch set, because the issue existed before the patch set and has
not changed after the patch set.

The comment should also be in Documentation, not here, since it would
affect users more than the developers.

> Besides that minor nit, the whole patchset has my
>
> Acked-by: Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers(a)efficios.com>

Thanks! I'll get an official release ready.

-- Steve

From: Steven Rostedt on
On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 10:05 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Steven Rostedt (rostedt(a)goodmis.org) wrote:

> > The comment should also be in Documentation, not here, since it would
> > affect users more than the developers.
>
> Typically, locking-related information belongs to comments close to the
> definition. I'm not sure why you say it affects users at all.

I thought you were concerned about changes to the filter not taking
affect immediately. But, yeah, if you are worried that developers should
know that the read value may change, then sure, comment at the code.

-- Steve