From: Paul on
What a clever use of ListIndex, ListCount and ItemData. Thanks so much for
taking the time to create that navigation bar for me, John. The forms in
which I'd use it don't allow for any additions, so I won't experiment with
that command for the time being.

> Also, note that comboboxes are limited to a maximum of 64 K records
> (binary K).

My largest combo boxes have four fields with no more than a couple of
thousand records and they all seem to be working just fine.

> By the way after thinking about this, I don't think that the write
> conflicts have all that much to do with the number of records you have in
> the recordset.

Now that you mention it, none of the experts ever told me the two were
related, I just imagined that if you loaded multiple records into a form and
began editing one, the other records were more likely to be involve in a
write conflict than if you only loaded that record you were working on. If
write conflicts aren't dependent on the number of records in the recordset,
I might just revert back to loading the entire recordset when the form
loads, because I'm only dealing with hundreds, not thousands of records.

Thanks again for the nice applet with the record navigation bar, John.

Paul

From: Paul on
Great information, Dave.

I try to observe good posting rules, and after reading your suggestions I
now realize it's best to keep the number of groups ro a necessary minimum.

> the first choice in all case is OPTIMISTIC locking

Understood. I am using Optimistic locking.

> if you're running SQL updates in code against a table that is also loaded
> in a form/forms, save the form/forms *before* running the SQL update.

This could be a problem, because haven't been doing that. I am running
action queries without first saving the record to enforce some of our
business rules. Armen and Banana have pointed out that such queries can
cause write conflicts. However, Tom Wickerath's page on performance
includes a link to a MS Web page that talks about how DAO 3.6 can produce
write conflicts. So does that mean it's best to use ADO in place of those
update queries? (And is that something that can be done with ADO?)

> if you're updating a record in a different subform, save any edits to the
> first subform before navigating to the other subform. This is the only way
> to avoid write conflicts

That's something else I'm not doing. I just assumed that when you leave a
subform, the record would be saved automatically. Are you saying that you
need to write a line of code to save a record when you click another tab or
close the form?

> It is never a good idea to have the same table loaded in more than one
> editable table simultaneously.

My main form has a single field, the PK ProjectID from tblProject, but it's
Locked, so it can't be edited. I keep the editable data from tblProject in
a subform. I originally had all the data from that table in the Main form,
but I ran into a problem which, at the moment, I can't remember what it was,
that was solved by moving it into a subform. If users can't edit that
single field in the main form, then it shouln't create a write conflict
problem. Am I right about that?

Thanks for your comments,

Paul

From: Tom Wickerath AOS168b AT comcast DOT on
Hi Marsh,

> I missed where you said which version of Jet and/or Ace you
> used in the tests??

Access 2003, SP-2.

Tom Wickerath
Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/

From: Marshall Barton on
Tom Wickerath <AOS168b AT comcast DOT net> wrote:
>> I missed where you said which version of Jet and/or Ace you
>> used in the tests??
>
>Access 2003, SP-2.

Thanks for all your effort Tom, it was very enlightening.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
From: Armen Stein on
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:11:17 -0800, "Paul" <begone(a)spam.com> wrote:

>> if you're updating a record in a different subform, save any edits to the
>> first subform before navigating to the other subform. This is the only way
>> to avoid write conflicts
>
>That's something else I'm not doing. I just assumed that when you leave a
>subform, the record would be saved automatically. Are you saying that you
>need to write a line of code to save a record when you click another tab or
>close the form?

Paul, your assumption is correct. When your focus moves between a
main form and subform, or from one subform to another subform on the
same main form, Access implicitly saves the dirty record of the form
you are leaving. In other words, within a main form and its subforms,
only one record can be dirty at a time. No code extra code is needed
for this.

However, the explicit save *is* necessary if your focus is not leaving
the form, but running an update operation in code on the same records
as that form.

Armen Stein
Microsoft Access MVP
www.JStreetTech.com