From: 宾西蒙 on
I have a problem with the system clock being off roughly 10 minutes a 2
hours on a Xeon W3250 (like Core-i7 920) using the 2.6.34 Linux and tsc
clocksource. Switching to hpet seems to improve the situation
momentarily, however, are there any other thoughts on this matter?

What I find odd is that the processor speed in dmesg (after TSC
calibration message) is 2.8 GHz, whereas BIOS says @2.67GHz, might that
be related?

From: john stultz on
On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:56 PM, 宾西蒙 <binximeng(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a problem with the system clock being off roughly 10 minutes a 2
> hours on a Xeon W3250 (like Core-i7 920) using the 2.6.34 Linux and tsc
> clocksource. Switching to hpet seems to improve the situation
> momentarily, however, are there any other thoughts on this matter?
>
> What I find odd is that the processor speed in dmesg (after TSC
> calibration message) is 2.8 GHz, whereas BIOS says @2.67GHz, might that
> be related?

So just to be clear, I assume the clock is ahead (fast) 10 minutes
every 2 hours, right?

Could you include or link to the full dmesg?

Did earlier kernels (prior to 2.6.34) work properly on this machine?

thanks
-john