From: Frank on
How do I disable the use of the "System Volume Information"
directories to store MBs of deleted data? Especially on several
drives where I manipulate large data files, I end up having to
manually delete all the files and subdirectories every few days.

I do NOT want any Restore Point capability; I want to have files
deleted when I choose to do so.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
See http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspace.html &
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html#Adjust

From: Paul on
Frank wrote:
> How do I disable the use of the "System Volume Information"
> directories to store MBs of deleted data? Especially on several
> drives where I manipulate large data files, I end up having to
> manually delete all the files and subdirectories every few days.
>
> I do NOT want any Restore Point capability; I want to have files
> deleted when I choose to do so.

http://www.wikinfo.org/index.php/System_Restore:_Limitations_and_Complications

That would suggest to me, you want to

1) Disable System Restore on all partitions except C:
Control of which partitions are tracked, is shown here.

http://www.winxpfix.com/pics%20files/system-restore.jpg

2) On the C: partition, only store user data files in
My Documents. That way, they won't be tracked.

That might avoid some of the undesired side effects.

If you store user data in C:\downloads for example, then that
would be tracked. I only discovered this, the hard way (by noticing
my user data had changed).

If you want to be absolutely sure that no files are
tracked at all, then just turn it off entirely. You
can replace the function, with backups of your C: drive.
That is better than nothing.

Paul
From: Bruce Chambers on
Frank wrote:
> How do I disable the use of the "System Volume Information"
> directories to store MBs of deleted data? Especially on several
> drives where I manipulate large data files, I end up having to
> manually delete all the files and subdirectories every few days.
>
> I do NOT want any Restore Point capability; I want to have files
> deleted when I choose to do so.

By default, WinXP sets aside a maximum of 12% of the partition's size
for storing System Volume Information, but the amount of space set aside
for this purpose can be adjusted by the user. Start > All Programs >
Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > System Restore Settings,
select the pertinent partition and click Settings. If you don't want to
use System Restore at all, simply turn off the System Restore feature
(Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore,
System Restore Settings) and reboot. This will delete all of your
Restore Points, freeing up the hard drive space.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.