From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Joerg wrote:
> Paul Keinanen wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:48:12 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky
>><nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>>So does FM, however, the Bessel function drops of quite rapidly even
>>with a high modulation index.

It depends.

>>Are you referring to aliasing around zero frequency ?

No.
Think a little bit how PWM differs from FM.

>>Looking at the problem purely in time domain,

OK, looking at the problem purely in time domain:

Think of PWM as if it is PCM which goes through the boxcar filter with
the variable length (0...100% duty). The length of the filter varies
with the instant amplitude of the signal. This creates nonlinear
distortions.

>> but I still do not
>> understand why oversampling would be required.
>
> Don't worry, I don't either, so that makes two of us. I hope Vladimir
> won't have our degrees pulled :-)

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: langwadt on
On 14 Jul., 22:16, Paul Keinanen <keina...(a)sci.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:48:12 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky
>
> <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >Joerg wrote:

> So does FM, however, the Bessel function drops of quite rapidly even
> with a high modulation index.

> Are you referring to aliasing around zero frequency ?

> >> I've done a _lot_ better than 60dB.
>
> >How about doing some math before breaking physical laws?
>
> Looking at the problem purely in time domain, for 60 dB headroom, you
> should be able to measure the pulse width with an accuracy of about
> 1/1000 of the pulse period.

doing so would be like 10 bits per pulse, so for 150MHz signal
bandwidth you'd
only need 300MHz pulse rate.

making a 1/1000 cycle at 300MHz is 300GHz

if I remember correctly a theoretical 3rd order deltasigma moulator at
16x oversampling can make 60dB SNR
thats "only" 16*300MHz = 4.8GHz

-Lasse
From: Joerg on
Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Joerg wrote:
>> Paul Keinanen wrote:

>>> So does FM, however, the Bessel function drops of quite rapidly even
>>> with a high modulation index.
>
> It depends.

>>> Are you referring to aliasing around zero frequency ?
>
> No.
> Think a little bit how PWM differs from FM.
>
>>> Looking at the problem purely in time domain,
>
> OK, looking at the problem purely in time domain:
>
> Think of PWM as if it is PCM which goes through the boxcar filter with
> the variable length (0...100% duty). The length of the filter varies
> with the instant amplitude of the signal. This creates nonlinear
> distortions.

It would not be very smart to let this run 0%...100%. If you reduce the
gain and place an offset onto it then you can, for example, go from
25%...75%. Much less BW-demanding and it preserves the chance to correct
errors based on amplitude differences. Which is one of the key
parameters here because you LD and PD and the electronics around them
can't be of infinite BW and cost.

The real cat's meouw would be if the source signal allow the
introduction of the occasional sync preamble, where you could have a 0V
ref level and a max volt ref level.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
From: Joerg on
John Larkin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of the nasty things about cheap fiber-coupled lasers is that they
> have terrible amplitude stability and linearity, full of mode jumps
> and such. Given that, sending a signal over a fiberoptic link using
> amplitude modulation is usually done with a stable CW laser feeding a
> lithium-niobate modulator. The modulator itself is nonlinear and
> expensive and a nuisance to drive and bias.
>
> Digitizing and sending samples is OK, up to a point. It gets messy at
> some point from a sheer speed standpoint.
>
> So the idea of using FM pops up. If my baseband analog signal were,
> say, DC to 150 MHz, and I picked the highest carrier center frequency
> that's reasonably easy to work with, say 1 GHz, it could maybe be
> done. The laser driver and receiver aren't too difficult. The issues
> are the modulator, the demodulator, and the pure signal theory
> necessary to turn the time-domain behavior of the link into classic
> measures like s/n and distortion of the recovered baseband signal.
> Asymmetrically bandlimiting an FM signal is computationally messy.
>
> I'd expect that commercial VCOs wouldn't have anything like this sort
> of fractional modulation bandwidth. And if they did, a varicap
> modulating an LC oscillator would probably distort like mad. (Faint
> echoes of the capacitor charge debate?) The modulator may have to be
> some EclipsLite version of a 555 on steroids. Or a multi-GHz VCO
> heterodyned down. Yuk: sounds like RF.
>
> On the theory side, does anyone know of (or have?) one of the high-end
> math tools that could do a quantitative signal-quality analysis of
> such a link, given, say, approximate experimental data on the
> time-domain behavior of the laser link? Hiring a consultant to do this
> would be a desirable alternate to getting and learning this stuff
> ourselves.
>
> Any thoughts?

Another one. Used it before (on cables) and totally forgot. Probably
because I didn't have a margarita yesterday.

Send it plain old AM but in sampled blocks. A higher amplitude (higher
than the signal will ever be) is sent inbetween samples, or once every
so many samples. This is also sampled but then used on the receive side
just like the black porch signal is on an analog TV receiver. It is used
to adjust the gain to a possibly varying attenuation over the fiber. The
falling edge of these high amplitude reference pulses are also used to
sync-lock the sampler on the receive side.

In order to get amplitude variations out of the laser diode you could
use it's back facet photodiode as a feedback element. This is the diode
that is normally used for a "governor" to avoid distroying the laser
diode, and it still should be. Photodiodes are very linear devices and
whatever happens after the fiberoptics connector is calibrated out at
the receive side.

From: Paul Keinanen on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:15:22 -0700 (PDT), "langwadt(a)fonz.dk"
<langwadt(a)fonz.dk> wrote:

>On 14 Jul., 22:16, Paul Keinanen <keina...(a)sci.fi> wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:48:12 -0500, Vladimir Vassilevsky
>>
>> <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:

>> So does FM, however, the Bessel function drops of quite rapidly even
>> with a high modulation index.

>> Are you referring to aliasing around zero frequency ?

>> >How about doing some math before breaking physical laws?
>>
>> Looking at the problem purely in time domain, for 60 dB headroom, you
>> should be able to measure the pulse width with an accuracy of about
>> 1/1000 of the pulse period.
>>

>doing so would be like 10 bits per pulse, so for 150MHz signal
>bandwidth you'd
>only need 300MHz pulse rate.
>
>making a 1/1000 cycle at 300MHz is 300GHz

Some back of the envelope calculations:

Assuming 333 MHz sampling rate (3 ns pulse repetition time), thus for
60 dB (10 bit) accuracy, the pulse width would have to be measured
with 3 ps accuracy.

A square wave low pass limited to about 300 MHz would have a rise and
fall time in the order of 1 ns. To reach the 60 dB goal, the threshold
stability and amplitude noise would have to be less than 1/300 of the
pulse amplitude.

With 3 GHz bandwidth, the slope would be 100 ps and to reach 3 ps
accuracy, the amplitude accuracy requirement would be 1/30 of the
pulse amplitude.

With 30 GHz bandwidth and 10 ps slopes, the amplitude error and noise
could be as high as 1/3 of the pulse amplitude.

Thus, a practical system would require something between 3-30 GHz but
definitely not 300 GHz BW.

>if I remember correctly a theoretical 3rd order deltasigma moulator at
>16x oversampling can make 60dB SNR
>thats "only" 16*300MHz = 4.8GHz

That would fall into the same ballpark.