From: j vickroy on
Hello,

I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for a question about
Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/), but I did not know where else to ask and
my web searches have not been fruitful.

I'm attempting to use Hudson to run nose
(http://somethingaboutorange.com/mrl/projects/nose/0.11.3/) unit tests
but without success.

The Hudson job configuration contains the following entry in the
**Source Code Management** section:

svn://vm-svn/GOES data processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1

which successfully retrieves the desired project code from the
subversion repository.

The *Build* section, of the job configuration page, contains the
following entry:

"C:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests.exe --with-xunit --verbose"

in the *Execute Python Script* subsection.

Note, the above nose command runs as expected from a command shell
prompt on my computer.

As an additional check, I added the following command:

#!python.exe
print 'FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

in the *Execute shell* subsection of the job configuration *Build* section.

The Hudson console output for this job after a *Build Now* request is:

Started by user anonymous
Updating svn://vm-svn/GOES data processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1
At revision 3379
no change for svn://vm-svn/GOES data
processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1 since the previous build
[workspace] $ python
C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson6901585295620519415.py
[workspace] $ python.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson851004747320097491.sh
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Recording test results
Test reports were found but none of them are new. Did tests run?
For example, C:\Documents and Settings\jim.vickroy\.hudson\jobs\GOES
13-15 SXI Level-1 Products Generation\workspace\level-1\nosetests.xml is
20 min old

Finished: FAILURE

which seems to indicate the unit tests were not run since nosetests.xml
was generated by a previous execution of nose from a command shell.

I have been unable to get this to work (after trying many permutations
in the Hudson job configuration section) and would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks,
-- jv

P.S.
My system particulars are:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 3)
Python 2.6.4
nose 0.11.3
Hudson 1.355
From: Stefan Behnel on
j vickroy, 07.05.2010 20:44:
> I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for a question about
> Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/), but I did not know where else to ask and
> my web searches have not been fruitful.

Certainly nice to read something about Hudson in this forum, which is rare
enough. It's seriously the greatest CI tool I've ever used, and it works
great with Python apps.

> "C:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests.exe --with-xunit --verbose"
>
> in the *Execute Python Script* subsection.

The problem is that this isn't a "Python Script". I's a an executable,
native program. Use the "execute shell" build step instead.

Stefan

From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
Stefan Behnel wrote:
> j vickroy, 07.05.2010 20:44:
>> I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for a question about
>> Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/), but I did not know where else to ask and
>> my web searches have not been fruitful.
>
> Certainly nice to read something about Hudson in this forum, which is
> rare enough. It's seriously the greatest CI tool I've ever used, and
> it works great with Python apps.

We use it, but this is a python list that's why there's few topics about
it. :)
Speaking for myself, I use it to execute the linter (pylint) on the
code and run unitary tests. Great tool for sure.

JM

From: j vickroy on
Stefan Behnel wrote:
> j vickroy, 07.05.2010 20:44:
>> I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for a question about
>> Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/), but I did not know where else to ask and
>> my web searches have not been fruitful.
>
> Certainly nice to read something about Hudson in this forum, which is
> rare enough. It's seriously the greatest CI tool I've ever used, and it
> works great with Python apps.
>

>> "C:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests.exe --with-xunit --verbose"
>>
>> in the *Execute Python Script* subsection.
>
> The problem is that this isn't a "Python Script". I's a an executable,
> native program. Use the "execute shell" build step instead.
>
> Stefan

Thanks for your reply, Stefan.

When the above command

"C:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests.exe --with-xunit --verbose"

is moved to the "Execute shell" section of the job configuration page
along with the following "tracer" command:

#!python.exe
print 'FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'

their is still no indication the unit tests are run.

Here is the output from the Hudson Console Output page

Started by user anonymous
Updating svn://vm-svn/GOES data processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1
At revision 3401
no change for svn://vm-svn/GOES data
processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1 since the previous build
[workspace] $ python.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson2011616575490005324.sh
FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[workspace] $ cmd.exe -xe
C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson902246697107326581.sh
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\jim.vickroy\.hudson\jobs\GOES 13-15 SXI
Level-1 Products Generation\workspace>Recording test results
Test reports were found but none of them are new. Did tests run?
For example, C:\Documents and Settings\jim.vickroy\.hudson\jobs\GOES
13-15 SXI Level-1 Products Generation\workspace\level-1\nosetests.xml is
2 days 19 hr old

Finished: FAILURE

As a side note, my Hudson "global" configuration page contains:

cmd.exe

in the "Shell executable" section and

NOSEDIR
C:\Python26\Scripts

in the "Global properties" section.

-- jv
From: Jean-Michel Pichavant on
j vickroy wrote:
> Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> j vickroy, 07.05.2010 20:44:
>>> I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for a question about
>>> Hudson (http://hudson-ci.org/), but I did not know where else to ask
>>> and
>>> my web searches have not been fruitful.
>>
>> Certainly nice to read something about Hudson in this forum, which is
>> rare enough. It's seriously the greatest CI tool I've ever used, and
>> it works great with Python apps.
>>

>>> "C:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests.exe --with-xunit --verbose"
>>>
>>> in the *Execute Python Script* subsection.
>>
>> The problem is that this isn't a "Python Script". I's a an
>> executable, native program. Use the "execute shell" build step instead.
>>
>> Stefan
>>
> Thanks for your reply, Stefan.
>
> When the above command
>
> "C:\Python26\Scripts\nosetests.exe --with-xunit --verbose"
>
> is moved to the "Execute shell" section of the job configuration page
> along with the following "tracer" command:
>
> #!python.exe
> print 'FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'
>
> their is still no indication the unit tests are run.
>
> Here is the output from the Hudson Console Output page

> Started by user anonymous
> Updating svn://vm-svn/GOES data
> processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1
> At revision 3401
> no change for svn://vm-svn/GOES data
> processing/trunk/GOES/13,14,15/SXI/level-1 since the previous build
> [workspace] $ python.exe
> C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson2011616575490005324.sh
> FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
> [workspace] $ cmd.exe -xe
> C:\DOCUME~1\JIM~1.VIC\LOCALS~1\Temp\hudson902246697107326581.sh
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\jim.vickroy\.hudson\jobs\GOES 13-15 SXI
> Level-1 Products Generation\workspace>Recording test results
> Test reports were found but none of them are new. Did tests run?
> For example, C:\Documents and Settings\jim.vickroy\.hudson\jobs\GOES
> 13-15 SXI Level-1 Products Generation\workspace\level-1\nosetests.xml
> is 2 days 19 hr old
>
> Finished: FAILURE
>
> As a side note, my Hudson "global" configuration page contains:
>
> cmd.exe
>
> in the "Shell executable" section and
>
> NOSEDIR
> C:\Python26\Scripts
>
> in the "Global properties" section.
>
> -- jv
Maybe something is missing on the machine hosting hudson, did you try to
execute nosetests.exe on that machine ?
I'm also confused with something, you do not provide nosetests with the
location of your package, assuming the current directory contains that
package (my guess).
Instead of printing 'FOOO', try "import os ; print os.getcwd(); print
os.listdir(os.getcwd())" to know where you are exactly and if this dir
contains your python package.

JM