From: Bhawna on
Hi,

I am working on a Linux box (Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)- too
old !) set up as gateway on our network.

I am trying to start xinetd service as part of a project which will
run a new server. I have not added any services yet, but still xinetd
is troubling with no obvious errors/reasons.

When I start xinetd I get no error at prompt level as well as at log
level.

At prompt I see:

Starting xinetd: [ OK ]

And corresponding log message is

xinetd startup succeeded

But when I check status of xinetd I get following message.

xinetd dead but pid file exists

Please help me on this issue.

Thanks
Bhawna
From: unruh on
On 2010-08-12, Bhawna <bvnbhati(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a Linux box (Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)- too
> old !) set up as gateway on our network.
>
> I am trying to start xinetd service as part of a project which will
> run a new server. I have not added any services yet, but still xinetd
> is troubling with no obvious errors/reasons.
>
> When I start xinetd I get no error at prompt level as well as at log
> level.
>
> At prompt I see:
>
> Starting xinetd: [ OK ]
>
> And corresponding log message is
>
> xinetd startup succeeded

HOw about actually putting in a service for xinetd to service into
/etc/xinet.d.
And what log is that. Have you looked in /var/log/message and
/var/log/syslog