From: MowGreen on
Why deal with a log file that is cumbersome in size and needs to be
copied just to be viewed ? The WindowsUpdate.log is more suitable unless
it specifically points to an issue with CBS.
Plus, this "stability and reliability" update need *not* be installed on
systems that are not experiencing the issues described here:

An update is available to improve the stability and the reliability of
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977074

Eric ... See this TechNet article for the different uses of the
WindowsUpdate.log and the CBS.log:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732334(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_D

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: Eric on
That's a great article. Thanks.

I'd still like to know why the package is failing to install.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/unable-to-update-KB977074
From: MowGreen on
YW. As to KB977074 failing to install ... my guesses are
1) some people have hacked their systems so it can pass Validation
2) KB974431 needs to be installed *by itself* and prior to KB977074
being installed
3) reliability and stability updates are based on data gathered by MS
via the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). It is feasible
that such data is not applicable to all systems. Reliability and
stability updates should be applied judiciously, eg. *only* on systems
were the issues take place that are mentioned in the KB article