From: Abder-rahman Ali on
I have the problem:

undefined local variable or method `code_words' for main:Ob

I'm trying to work on an example from the Why's poignant guide to Ruby,
and don't know why I'm getting the preceding error.

I just made some small changes in the example, and they are not related
to the syntax, just the fill outs.

The first .rb is "wordlist.erb": http://pastie.org/1031629

The second one, "idea.rb": http://pastie.org/1031631

Provided that the Ruby version I'm using is: ruby 1.8.6

So, any idea how I can workaround this issue?

Thanks.

From: Abder-rahman Ali on
Abder-rahman Ali wrote:
> I have the problem:
>
> undefined local variable or method `code_words' for main:Ob
>
> I'm trying to work on an example from the Why's poignant guide to Ruby,
> and don't know why I'm getting the preceding error.
>
> I just made some small changes in the example, and they are not related
> to the syntax, just the fill outs.
>
> The first .rb is "wordlist.erb": http://pastie.org/1031629
>
> The second one, "idea.rb": http://pastie.org/1031631
>
> Provided that the Ruby version I'm using is: ruby 1.8.6
>
> So, any idea how I can workaround this issue?
>
> Thanks.

Please omit the last comma in wordlist.rb. But, I'm still having the
problem. Appreciate your collaboration.

From: Jesús Gabriel y Galán on
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Abder-rahman Ali
<abder.rahman.ali(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the problem:
>
> undefined local variable or method `code_words' for main:Ob
>
> I'm trying to work on an example from the Why's poignant guide to Ruby,
> and don't know why I'm getting the preceding error.
>
> I just made some small changes in the example, and they are not related
> to the syntax, just the fill outs.
>
> The first .rb is "wordlist.erb": http://pastie.org/1031629
>
> The second one, "idea.rb": http://pastie.org/1031631
>
> Provided that the Ruby version I'm using is: ruby 1.8.6
>
> So, any idea how I can workaround this issue?

Local variables are not visible outside of the file they are created.
You will to make code_words a global variable ($code_words) or a
constant (CODE_WORDS). I think for an example like this one those are
the two simplest ways.

Jesus.

From: Abder-rahman Ali on
Jesús Gabriel y Galán wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Abder-rahman Ali
> <abder.rahman.ali(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> The first .rb is "wordlist.erb": http://pastie.org/1031629
>>
>> The second one, "idea.rb": http://pastie.org/1031631
>>
>> Provided that the Ruby version I'm using is: ruby 1.8.6
>>
>> So, any idea how I can workaround this issue?
>
> Local variables are not visible outside of the file they are created.
> You will to make code_words a global variable ($code_words) or a
> constant (CODE_WORDS). I think for an example like this one those are
> the two simplest ways.
>
> Jesus.

Thanks a lot. It worked :-)

Really nice solutions.