From: Andrew on
On 17 Dec, 13:32, George Neuner <gneun...(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> >> I don't know offhand how portable it is, but the uuid implementation
> >> that is in Linux's EXT2/EXT3 filesystem is used by a number of systems
> >> that need global identifiers. See the e2fsprogs package.
>
> >Doesn't sound very portable to me. Sounds like its Linux-only.
>
> The generic generator claims to be portable to any POSIX platform

Well, that's slightly better than I thought, but still wonlt work for
MS-Windows. I downloaded it anyway and took and look. It really is
aimed at POSIX platforms due to its use of automake/autoconf. It works
with Cygwin but with Visual Studio.

> I haven't tried it but I glanced at the code briefly ... the only
> thing that isn't immediately clear to me is whether the generic
> generator can create an id without having a NIC available

That's not a worry for me. I tend to trust the implementation of these
things. The problems are well understood by now and include more than
just NIC worries (that's where my own version was using int32 to talk
to the NIC). The random number generator also needs a good source of
entropy. Some platforms provide one, others don't in which case there
are documented compromises.

-Andrew Marlow