From: Bernhard Dippold on
Hi Drew, all,

Drew Jensen schrieb:
> [...]
> Before jumping in with opinions could I ask a question, please.
>
> OO.o sprouts more then just the English users ML, it has a German
> list, French, and others - yes.
>
> Do these other MLs also experience these problems?
>
> Do they also take non subscribed postings?
If I remember correctly (the time I've been moderating some germanophone
lists is over for a few years now) these lists never allowed
unsubscribed postings without moderation.

During moderation one of the moderators decided to let pass a valid mail
and sent a standardized mail directly to the unsubscribed user telling
him/her about moderation, benefits of subscription, where to read
possible replies and so on. This mail has been CC'd to the other
moderators, so all of them have been informed and didn't need to reply
themselves. For moderation of the art mailing list I once translated
this message to English:
http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentView?documentID=3720

As all the people on the list knew about the moderator's efforts, nobody
(in fact nearly nobody) had to comment on unsubscribed users - whether
they CC'd them in their replies or not.

> Do they have problems with people that can not seem to un-subscribe?
Yes - from time to time.

But if there is someone with the right to unsubscribe others watching
the list, every unsubscribe thread can become quite short:

1st mail: Please unsubscribe me!
2nd mail: I did it for you - Good bye!

If the second mail would contain a comment about how to unsubscribe when
people join again a list, nobody would bother...

Main point would be:
- nobody without the privilege to unsubscribe others needs to reply to
unsubscribe mails.
- nobody needs to tell unsubscribed users about the mails they might miss.
- nobody needs to tell other people replying to the question that the
original poster is not subscribed.

Best regards

Bernhard

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org