From: Barbara Duprey on
Mike Scott wrote:
> Barbara Duprey wrote:
>>> <quote>
>>> Please urgently stop all e-mails to my computer . I have send a lot of
>>> mails asking to stop this immediately.
>>> </quote>
>>>

>> ... and forcing subscription would certainly generate more of these.
>> There are a lot of legitimate causes (not just laziness or
>> stupidity!) for people to have difficulty with unsubscribing; for
>> anybody who is interested, I can send you the material I've put
>> together on this. And there does seem to be a hole that allows people
>> to be subscribed without the kind of confirmation that is normally
>> required; I've been asking them off-list for explanations of how they
>> got there, without any luck yet.
>
> IIRC there was some suspicion (on 'users') that the less scrupulous
> 'vendors' of OOo were subscribing their customers as a means of
> providing their so-called support. The mechanics were never clear
> though, as the user would still have had to respond to the
> confirmation email. But maybe people do this without understanding the
> ramifications, or maybe just forget they ever did it.

I just got some personal confirmation about a hole in the process
(unsubscription, in my case, but probably applies to subscription as
well). Somehow, I was unsubscribed from the users list without my
knowledge or confirmation! It took me quite a while to notice, because
I've been getting plenty of mail on other OOo lists and I send them all
to the same mailbox. So far, no clue as to how the unsubscribe happened.
Stay tuned....

> But as I've suggested previously, if a regular 'do you still want to
> be subscribed' message were sent out (default on no reply - removed
> from list) then this would remove unwitting newbies fairly quickly.
> Maybe there could be the initial confirmation, then a handful of
> monthly requests, then perhaps even stop on the assumption the
> subscriber now knows what they're doing. Just an idea to toss into the
> mix.

But when is "no reply" assumed? This might be pretty annoying, if
somebody goes on vacation and doesn't check their mail for a while.
Still, it's worth considering some kind of monthly reminder message that
gives people the info they'd need to unsubscribe (or use other list
commands). That's what Scribus does, for example.

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: Drew Jensen on
Hi Barbara, Mike, Paul, others

Well, here is the opinion part.

(opinion, since I'm not raising my hand to
do the work - deleting at *this* point is a
reasonable thing to do with this post therefore)

I've never tried to compare how things are done at
the web forum and on the ML - but I will make this
an exception.

There is a reasonable percentage of the
'solution providers' and moderators at the forum for
whom that is their primary (or only) activity within the
OO.o community.

ML and web forum - both are just a communication
channel and share some attributes with all
communication channels, human discourse or digital.

They are real time, interrupt driven and when 'events'
happen that need servicing there is a finite time frame
in which it needs to be finished, else the actual
exchange rate in the channel suffers.

- Here is the advice section -
(even more suspect regarding usefulness)

Relax - It isn't really broken.

The real problem *was* the same problem that
plagues many things here, lack of human resources.

What happens then is that it becomes much to
easy for the people that are willing to put in
the time, to do the work, to become over extended,
that's really IMO all it was.

For many things that fact of life can be accepted.

This wasn't one of them.

Paul, Barbara, Mike, NoOp, other names, you all
know them, are the folks that need to be
empowered to handle the 'events'.

How many of you, I don't know, talk with the folks
that run the other language MLs and see what's
working there - figure that traffic is going to scale
up over time - and you'll know the answer.

Then it just comes down to trust - if we (OO.o) can't
trust you folks enough to give what access rights
you need to actually perform the task we are
asking you to do - we all have a problem.

and with that I'll get out of the kitchen,

Drew

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org