From: sparks on
I received an email and they were asking me what this means and what
should be implemented.

Data entered by: ________________ (password protected)

But at the same time they want the person to be able to view their
files and a way to be able to view other files that are entered by
anyone and are not protected.

I asked so you have files that anyone can enter,view and edit.
Then you have files that only you can enter, view and edit.

yes

So the database has to be set up to allow everyone to see some files
and some files are for this person only?

How would you go about doing this?

From: Bob Barrows on
sparks wrote:
> I received an email and they were asking me what this means and what
> should be implemented.
>
> Data entered by: ________________ (password protected)

Huh?

> But at the same time

Huh? At the same time as what?

> they want the person to be able to view their
> files and a way to be able to view other files that are entered by
> anyone and are not protected.

"files"? Are you talking about a network? If so, there must be a network
administrator who knows how to set up security groups and assign permissions
to files based on those groups.

> I asked so you have files that anyone can enter,view and edit.

Sorry, but this sentence makes no sense.

> Then you have files that only you can enter, view and edit.
>
> yes

What?

> So the database has to be set up to allow everyone to see some files
> and some files are for this person only?

Huh?
Start from the beginning. What you wrote makes no sense at all: to start, a
database stores tables, not files.
Given that this is an Access newsgroup, and you seem to be asking about
security, all I can do is suggest you read what Access online help has to
say about securing databases.

--
Bob Barrows

From: Arvin Meyer on
If you are using Access 2003 or earlier, use User-Level Security:

Security FAQ
http://support.microsoft.com/support/access/content/secfaq.asp

If you are using Access 2007 or later, you'll need to roll your own. I
suggest identifying the user:

http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm

Then coding a solution.

From: sparks on
Guys I wan to say I am sorry.
I was cutting and pasting from what was forwarded to me.

Files, they are saying records.

So if I put in a record and I had it protected I would be the only one
to see that record.

Now if you put in a non passworded record anyone could see/edit it.

What I just received from them is the same thing but now "it might"
just be part of a record.

in this case its a client information and subforms under that for
evaluations/payments etc.

they just want to password the payment subforms.

so it is now 2 different things.

1) password protect some records
2) password a part of a record

I hope I am off monday LOL

and I have used the code you posted a link to before and it works very
well.

I am hoping that this is all they want, if so I can do this with no
problem.

I have never heard of having a subform locked before but again I don't
thing it should be that big of a deal.

What about someone just viewing or changing the tables?

From: Arvin Meyer on
The code can be used in multiple situations, including view records, parts
of records, or subforms. There is no way any specific code can be written
without the seeing the entire affected part of app. That is mayway beyond
the scope of a newsgroup. Suggest to your correspondents that they may want
to hire a professional to do what they need to do.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com