From: edwin_dammam on
when pressing the enter key after formating a cell in excel 2003 file, a
window message will say "to many different cell format". If I press OK, and
later save the file, the other previous formatting will be gone once I opened
the same file.
From: FSt1 on
hi
excel 03 allows 4000 different format combinations. this has been increased
to 64000 for 07.

see this site for more details and possible fixes.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904

regards
FSt1

From: Gord Dibben on
You have too many cell formats.

See this KB Article for explanation and fixes.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP