From: Nougat on

"erobict" wrote:

> Error code 80073701 but no need to be nasty. This is the 1st time I used this
> so not quite sure what I need to enter.

Other solutions I have seen posted:

> 1) Open CMD prompt as Administrator
> 2) Enter the following: takeown /f C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml
> 3) Enter the following, and type in your username in the designated
> place: cacls C:\Windows\winsxs\pending.xml /G <EnterUsernameHere>:F
> 4) Go to C:\Windows\winsxs\ and rename the pending.xml file to
> pending.bak
> 5) Run Windows Update again, and you should be all set!
----
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
----
Perform an in-place upgrade of Vista (which is the only thing that worked
for me)

Run the Vista install from the running OS (not booting from media), and
you'll find the upgrade option. It takes a loooong time.

Then you may run into another bug. After the in place upgrade, upon first
logon, you will be asked to re-activate Windows. This will fail. You need
to choose the option to reenter your 25 digit key, the same one you entered
before. Then activation will work.

The in place upgrade path also solved the 80073712 error when trying to
install Vista SP1.