From: lmiller on
Good Afternoon,
First I would like to thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you
can give.
I have created a new database and I imported a few tables from another
database that I need for some queries that I am running in the new database.
This new database will be for our new financial term beginning in April. I
am currently still working in the old database until than but I was just
checking a few items and I noticed that the tables that were imported are
not updated. Everyday I put new information in eg. our Po's for 7th term.

I looked in the new database and the information I put in the old database
isn't coming through on the new. Doesn't this automatically update
accordingly? or do I need to create an update query for the table.
From: Jerry Whittle on
1. If you imported the tables, they will not get automatically updated from
the tables in the other databases. However if you linked to them, they will.

2. It's almost always a bad idea to create a new database each
year/quarter/month/term or whatever. You are much better off keeping
everything in one database and using things like a date/time field to extract
the data by periods as needed. This requires less maintenance; reduces
confusion; and makes it easier to compare and contrast with previous terms.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: lmiller on
I totally agree with you about keeping the same database. Eventhough I am
the only one that updates the databases, the powers of be want a new one each
fiscal year. I tried a link table and that also wasn't being updated so I
deleted it and imported the table instead, just to find out that didn't work
either.

From: lmiller on
Jerry,

I went back and redeleted the imported table and this time I did the link
table again. It worked this time.

Thanks!!!!!!!

From: John W. Vinson on
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:16:51 -0800, lmiller <lmiller(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Jerry,
>
>I went back and redeleted the imported table and this time I did the link
>table again. It worked this time.

Just be aware that you are NOT using two different databases. The linked table
is still in the old database; if you delete or archive the old database your
links will point to... nothing. As it is they're pointing to your "old" data.

If your bosses want a separate database for each fiscal period, this link will
*not* accomplish that end.

You might want to ask them... would they insist on getting a new filing
cabinet every year, because you have new data? The analogy is pretty close!
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]