From: Johan van Selst on
Joe wrote:
> I can not figure out just what the author was trying to say with
> "output of shar `find port_dir`"

If your port files are stored in the subdirectory 'newport' then
you may issue the command
shar `find newport` > file.shar

This creates the 'file.shar' file, which contains a shell archive of all
the files in the 'newport' subdirectory. You should then include this
file in your new port submission.

Regards,
Johan
From: Matthew Seaman on
On 18/07/2010 10:56:42, Joe wrote:

> After getting my port ready for submitting to the ports system, I read
> the above section from the porters handbook and come to a show stopper.
>
> I can not figure out just what the author was trying to say with
> "output of shar `find port_dir`"
>
> Can someone explain how the shar command is intended to be used to
> create the file that gets send with the [new port] pr?

Suppose you have called your new port "splat", and you have therefore a
directory ~/splat containing the port Makefile, distinfo, pkg-descr,
etc. Then what you need to do is run exactly this:

% cd ~
% shar `find splat` > splat.shar

Note the special `backticks` -- they're important.

What this does is --

* Runs the command: find splat
This will print out a list of all the file and directory names
under the directory splat.
* Takes that list and turns it into part of the command line for
shar.
* Runs shar over all the files and directories found by find.

Now, just attach that splat.shar file to the PR (send-pr -a splat.shar)
as the final step in submitting your new port.

Cheers,

Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil. 7 Priory Courtyard
Flat 3

From: Anonymous on
Johan van Selst <johans(a)stack.nl> writes:

> Joe wrote:
>> I can not figure out just what the author was trying to say with
>> "output of shar `find port_dir`"
>
> If your port files are stored in the subdirectory 'newport' then
> you may issue the command
> shar `find newport` > file.shar

Another way is to use libarchive(3) writer, e.g.

$ tar cf file.shar --format shar newport

It's less prone to trip on special symbols in filenames and doesn't have
limit on number of files (i.e. ARG_MAX).

From: Chip Camden on
Quoth Anonymous on Sunday, 18 July 2010:
> Johan van Selst <johans(a)stack.nl> writes:
>
> > Joe wrote:
> >> I can not figure out just what the author was trying to say with
> >> "output of shar `find port_dir`"
> >
> > If your port files are stored in the subdirectory 'newport' then
> > you may issue the command
> > shar `find newport` > file.shar
>
> Another way is to use libarchive(3) writer, e.g.
>
> $ tar cf file.shar --format shar newport
>
> It's less prone to trip on special symbols in filenames and doesn't have
> limit on number of files (i.e. ARG_MAX).

This should be in the handbook -- good tip!

--
Sterling (Chip) Camden | sterling(a)camdensoftware.com | 2048D/3A978E4F
http://camdensoftware.com | http://chipstips.com | http://chipsquips..com
From: Joe on
Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 18/07/2010 10:56:42, Joe wrote:
>
>> After getting my port ready for submitting to the ports system, I read
>> the above section from the porters handbook and come to a show stopper.
>>
>> I can not figure out just what the author was trying to say with
>> "output of shar `find port_dir`"
>>
>> Can someone explain how the shar command is intended to be used to
>> create the file that gets send with the [new port] pr?
>
> Suppose you have called your new port "splat", and you have therefore a
> directory ~/splat containing the port Makefile, distinfo, pkg-descr,
> etc. Then what you need to do is run exactly this:
>
> % cd ~
> % shar `find splat` > splat.shar
>
> Note the special `backticks` -- they're important.
>
> What this does is --
>
> * Runs the command: find splat
> This will print out a list of all the file and directory names
> under the directory splat.
> * Takes that list and turns it into part of the command line for
> shar.
> * Runs shar over all the files and directories found by find.
>
> Now, just attach that splat.shar file to the PR (send-pr -a splat.shar)
> as the final step in submitting your new port.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

This needs to be in the handbook. How is anybody going to know that the
`find port_dir` is suppose to be enclosed by [`backticks`]. I has to be
said in words not just a printed example.

Thank you Matthew for pointing this out. That was the problem I was having.