From: John on
How can I determine which usb I have?
Is there something in Windows which will tell me?

Thanks,
--
John
From: Paul on
John wrote:
> How can I determine which usb I have?
> Is there something in Windows which will tell me?
>
> Thanks,

For the chipset on the computer itself, you can use
the method described here.

http://www.usbman.com/Guides/checking_for_usb_2.htm

When you plug in a peripheral, there is a negotiation
of the rate. If you had a bad cable, it is possible
the devices would negotiate a lower rate. There is a
utility (UVCView) that can dump config information
for each device, and a field in that information says
what resulted from the negotiation. But that isn't
exactly convenient for an end user.

So even if you have an "Enhanced" USB entry in
Device Manager, that doesn't guarantee that USB2
devices will always be in USB2 mode. Other things
can happen to change that.

UVCView used to be available from Microsoft, but they
removed it some time ago, and there are only a couple
private copies available for download now. They even
contacted archive.org and had the copies on there
removed (and as far as I know, there is nothing
wrong with the program itself). Have a look around
for UVCView.x86.exe .

File size is 167,232 bytes.
MD5sum is 93244d84d79314898e62d21cecc4ca5e

Paul
From: ANONYMOUS on
John wrote:

> How can I determine which usb I have?
> Is there something in Windows which will tell me?
>
> Thanks,

Simplest way is to insert the latest USB flash drive in your USB port
and suddenly you will get a message to say that your device will work
faster in USB 2.0 or something towards that direction. If you have USB
2 then you don't get any message even if you use very old/new device.
You may not know but USB 3.0 devices are also available so watch the space.

hth

From: Bob I on

From: Twayne on
In news:35E1B0A4-2168-4A57-9A29-A090086B6204(a)microsoft.com,
John <jREMOVEcmcf(a)rocketmail.com> typed:
> How can I determine which usb I have?
> Is there something in Windows which will tell me?
>
> Thanks,

Start; Programs; Accessories; System Tools; System Information, go to the
Components area & scroll down to USB. USB will be listed there. In the right
hand column , there should be an entry like:

intel CH9 Family USB2 Enhanced

If there is no USB2 entry, you do not have USB2. Some computers have both;
in those cases usually the front connectors will only be USB1 and the rear
will be USB2.
HTH,

Twayne`
H,