From: Victor Duchovni on
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 09:35:39PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Provide 'postconf -d' output please.

Best to not provide answers when you are not more expert than the person
asking the questions.

--
Viktor.

From: LuKreme on
On 25-Sep-2009, at 20:35, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Provide 'postconf -d' output please.

How is that going to help?

from man postfconf:

-d Print default parameter settings instead of actual
settings.

--
"Master, what is the difference between a humanistic, monastic
system of belief in which wisdom is sought by means of an

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Victor Duchovni put forth on 9/25/2009 9:37 PM:

> Why does the address get de-configured? You should be able to bind
> it provided the interface is administratively up, even if it is not
> working.

Ahh, that's the part I missed. Sounds like his flavor of *nix (and/or a
driver) is automatically de-configuring the interface upon link
failure/call hang-up/etc.

Sven, are you using a multi-line ISDN or analog dial card? Or separate
modems (serial or USB)? Or, is this actually a multi-line aDSL/cable
setup, with the physical server connections being ethernet? You said
"all dial-in" but some folks use "dial-in" interchangeably with "dynamic
IP aDSL/cable". I'm just trying to get on the exact same page so we can
help you solve this.

--
Stan

From: Sven Strickroth on
Hi,

Am 26.09.2009 04:37 schrieb Victor Duchovni:
> Not without source code changes:

I thought that...

> Why does the address get de-configured? You should be able to bind
> it provided the interface is administratively up, even if it is not
> working.

I've two DSL lines and use RP-PPPoE. The IP is static but I receive it
using PPP (like DHCP) and if the DSL line is down, the pppX-device
"vanishes" -> that's why no process can bind to the ip.

--
Best regards,
Sven mailto:sven(a)clamav.net

From: Wietse Venema on
Sven Strickroth:
> Hi,
>
> I've a server with multiple ip addresses (all dial-in). But only one
> static ip-address. So if the static ip line is down postfix prints out
> "warning: smtp_connect_addr: bind x.x.x.x: Cannot assign requested
> address" and uses the other (dynamic) ip for sending.
>
> Is it possible to tell postfix not to send mails if the
> smtp_bind_address is not available?

I never need to use smtp_bind_address when my own mailhost needs
to fall back to dialup (which is fortunately rarely).

All reasonable TCP/IP stacks will automatically use the right source
IP address when sending out mail over the dialup link or over the
local network.

Wietse