From: Phil Howard on
May 26 15:59:27 eth0 postfix/pipe[17347]: 0C35B68534:
to=<foo(a)example.com>, orig_to=<root>, relay=dovecot, delay=21567,
delays=21567/0.02/0/0.06, dsn=4.1.1, status=SOFTBOUNCE (user unknown)

I do have foo(a)example.com configured in virtual_alias_maps to go to
bar(a)example.com ... and that is working as I can send mail to
foo(a)example.com and it really shows up in bar(a)example.com's mailbox.
I suspect that the bouncing mail was queued to be delivered _before_ I
had put that mapping in virtual_alias_maps. Can someone confirm that
might be what is happening? Is there a way to get it to be remapped
now that it is in the delivery queue? Or should I just create a
mailbox for foo(a)example.com and mv the file over to bar(a)example.com?

From: Charles Marcus on
On 2010-05-26 4:12 PM, Phil Howard wrote:
> Is there a way to get it to be remapped now that it is in the
> delivery queue? Or should I just create a mailbox for foo(a)example.com
> and mv the file over to bar(a)example.com?

Not sure if it would help, but maybe:

postsuper -r ALL

man postsuper

--

Best regards,

Charles

From: Sahil Tandon on
On Wed, 26 May 2010, Phil Howard wrote:

> May 26 15:59:27 eth0 postfix/pipe[17347]: 0C35B68534:
> to=<foo(a)example.com>, orig_to=<root>, relay=dovecot, delay=21567,
> delays=21567/0.02/0/0.06, dsn=4.1.1, status=SOFTBOUNCE (user unknown)

Dovecot is complaining here; Postfix is the messenger.

> I do have foo(a)example.com configured in virtual_alias_maps to go to
> bar(a)example.com ... and that is working as I can send mail to
> foo(a)example.com and it really shows up in bar(a)example.com's mailbox.
> I suspect that the bouncing mail was queued to be delivered _before_ I
> had put that mapping in virtual_alias_maps. Can someone confirm that
> might be what is happening? Is there a way to get it to be remapped
> now that it is in the delivery queue?

You may use postsuper(1) to requeue the message, subjecting it once
again to address writing and new virtual alias mappings. Do not, as
suggested by another poster, simply requeue ALL messages -- unless, of
course, that is what you really intend.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil(a)FreeBSD.org>

From: Charles Marcus on
On 2010-05-26 9:50 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> Do not, as suggested by another poster, simply requeue ALL messages
> -- unless, of course, that is what you really intend.

Ooops, thanks for catching that Sahil. I have a fairly low volume
server, so my queue is essentially always empty - so I can safely
postsuper ALL without consequence. I forget that some people actually
run 'real' mail servers that often/always have large queues. ;)

--

Best regards,

Charles

From: Phil Howard on
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 16:52, Charles Marcus <CMarcus(a)media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2010-05-26 4:12 PM, Phil Howard wrote:
>> Is there a way to get it to be remapped now that it is in the
>> delivery queue? Or should I just create a mailbox for foo(a)example.com
>> and mv the file over to bar(a)example.com?
>
> Not sure if it would help, but maybe:
>
> postsuper -r ALL
>
> man postsuper

I ended up doing a symlink trick, plus faked password entries, to get
Dovecot deliver to go ahead and accept the delivery and put it in the
intended mailbox. But I will read this man page for future needs.