From: jr on
There are two required fields, bu and error flag, also if zoneid is
selected they must also have a value for the zonenm . I am having
trouble figuring out where to return the 0 or the 1 so that it returns
false or true but I have the right conditions,
thanks,
function checkscript() {
if (ele.search_bu.value ) && (ele.search_error_flag.value )
{
if (ele.search_zoneid.value) && (!ele.search_zonenm.value)

else{return 0;}
}
else {return 1;}
</script>
From: RobG on
On Aug 3, 4:04 pm, jr <jlro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> There are two required fields,  bu and error flag, also if zoneid is
> selected  they must also have a value for the zonenm .  I am having
> trouble figuring out where to return the 0 or the 1 so that it returns
> false or true but I have the right conditions,
>  thanks,
> function checkscript() {
>   if (ele.search_bu.value ) && (ele.search_error_flag.value )
>        {
>            if (ele.search_zoneid.value) && (!ele.search_zonenm.value)
>
>         else{return 0;}

Why not return a boolean instead of a string?

>        }
>  else {return 1;}

Where is the closing brace for the function? Why not return boolean
true?

>  </script>

Your code would be much easier to read if it was written as:

function checkscript() {

// If bu and error_flag have a value
if (ele.search_bu.value ) && (ele.search_error_flag.value ) {

// If zoneid has a value and zonenm doesn't
if (ele.search_zoneid.value) && (!ele.search_zonenm.value) {
// do something?

} else {
// if zoneid doesn't have a value, or
// if both zoneid and zonenm have values
return 0;
}

// If either bu or error_flag (or both) don't have a value
} else {
return 1;
}
}

The comments can be removed once you are happy the logic is correct.
The formatting and extra braces should stay, they cost nothing to
include and make life far more pleasant for others (and usually the
athor also) to follow the code. And find mistakes.

It should also help with minifying.

--
Rob
From: RobG on
On Aug 3, 4:25 pm, RobG <rg...(a)iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On Aug 3, 4:04 pm, jr <jlro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > There are two required fields,  bu and error flag, also if zoneid is
> > selected  they must also have a value for the zonenm .  I am having
> > trouble figuring out where to return the 0 or the 1 so that it returns
> > false or true but I have the right conditions,
> >  thanks,
> > function checkscript() {
> >   if (ele.search_bu.value ) && (ele.search_error_flag.value )
> >        {
> >            if (ele.search_zoneid.value) && (!ele.search_zonenm.value)
>
> >         else{return 0;}
>
> Why not return a boolean instead of a string?

Ooops, number.

--
Rob

From: Asen Bozhilov on
jr wrote:

> function checkscript() {
>   if (ele.search_bu.value ) && (ele.search_error_flag.value )

It is really good idea to read the syntax of `If Statement`.

if ( Expression ) Statement

And from this point:

&& (!ele.search_zonenm.value)

This part should be parse as Statement and in ECMAScript there is not
Statement which start with:

&&

Even and Expression Statement.
So the expected result here is SyntaxError.

Start reading:

And ECMA-262 standard.

From: Jeff North on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 23:04:41 -0700 (PDT), in comp.lang.javascript jr
<jlrough(a)yahoo.com>
<3de39edf-6b53-4727-9877-13d4735e28bb(a)w15g2000pro.googlegroups.com>
wrote:

>| There are two required fields, bu and error flag, also if zoneid is
>| selected they must also have a value for the zonenm . I am having
>| trouble figuring out where to return the 0 or the 1 so that it returns
>| false or true but I have the right conditions,
>| thanks,
>| function checkscript() {
>| if (ele.search_bu.value ) && (ele.search_error_flag.value )
>| {
>| if (ele.search_zoneid.value) && (!ele.search_zonenm.value)
>|
>| else{return 0;}
>| }
>| else {return 1;}
>| </script>

Please download and install firefox then download and install firebug.
Next, learn how to use firebug to single step through your code.
You will learn a lot more and also be able to fix a lot of these
errors yourself.

For example: both if statements don't have a closing ).
This would have been caught with the firebug console.