From: Claire on
Hello,
I wrote the code in late 90's and some of my global variables are
declared as Byte.
My question is:
Should I convert all those variables to Long as now we are dealing more and
more with 64 bit Windows, or it does not matter?
I do not want to run into compatibility problem.
Thanks,
Claire

From: David Kerber on
In article <OSScK6u6KHA.5848(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, replyto(a)fra says...

> Hello,
> I wrote the code in late 90's and some of my global variables are
> declared as Byte.
> My question is:
> Should I convert all those variables to Long as now we are dealing more and
> more with 64 bit Windows, or it does not matter?
> I do not want to run into compatibility problem.
> Thanks,
> Claire

As long as your programming language supports a given variable type on
the platform, you will be fine.

From: MikeD on

"Claire" <replyto(a)fra> wrote in message news:OSScK6u6KHA.5848(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
> I wrote the code in late 90's and some of my global variables are declared as Byte.
> My question is:
> Should I convert all those variables to Long as now we are dealing more and more with 64 bit Windows, or it does not matter?
> I do not want to run into compatibility problem.
> Thanks,

Well you wouldn't change Byte variables to Long anyway. You *might* change Integer variables to Long, but that was really more with
going from 16 bit development to 32 bit development.

The apps you create with VB6 are 32 bit apps and when run on a 64 bit OS, run in the 32 bit sub-system (called WOW64).

So what I'm saying is you should not have to change anything in your 32 bit VB6 apps for them to run on a 64 bit version of Windows.

Running into compatibility problems is something else entirely.

--
Mike

From: Claire on

"David Kerber" <ns_dkerber(a)ns_warrenrogersassociates.com> wrote in message
> In article <OSScK6u6KHA.5848(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, replyto(a)fra says...
>>
>> Hello,
>> I wrote the code in late 90's and some of my global variables
>> are
>> declared as Byte.
>> My question is:
>> Should I convert all those variables to Long as now we are dealing more
>> and
>> more with 64 bit Windows, or it does not matter?
>> I do not want to run into compatibility problem.
>> Thanks,
>> Claire
>
> As long as your programming language supports a given variable type on
> the platform, you will be fine.

I thought it is classic vbasic programming forum only.

From: Claire on

"MikeD" <nobody(a)nowhere.edu> wrote in message

> "Claire" <replyto(a)fra> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>> I wrote the code in late 90's and some of my global variables
>> are declared as Byte.
>> My question is:
>> Should I convert all those variables to Long as now we are dealing more
>> and more with 64 bit Windows, or it does not matter?
>> I do not want to run into compatibility problem.
>> Thanks,
>

> Well you wouldn't change Byte variables to Long anyway. You *might*
> change Integer variables to Long, but that was really more with going from
> 16 bit development to 32 bit development.
>
> The apps you create with VB6 are 32 bit apps and when run on a 64 bit OS,
> run in the 32 bit sub-system (called WOW64).
>
> So what I'm saying is you should not have to change anything in your 32
> bit VB6 apps for them to run on a 64 bit version of Windows.
>
> Running into compatibility problems is something else entirely.
>

> --
> Mike

Mike, I do have also some variables declared as Integer. Should I change
those?
Claire

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3