From: DZ on
Kenneth T. Onyee <kentonyee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Why does Cov[X,Y] = 0 insufficient to imply that
> Cov[ X^2, Y^2 ] = 0?

The dependency need to have a linear component for the covariance to
be zero. Consider the following

X ~ N(0, 1)
E ~ N(0, 1/10)
Y = X^2 + E

That is, the functional form of dependency between X and Y is the
parabola with added normal noise from E. Therefore Cov(X, Y) = 0.

But if you look at the relation between Y and X^2 then it is entirely
linear apart from the noise from E. Therefore, the relation between
Y^2 and X^2 is described by the positive part of the parabola and the
Cov(X^2,Y^2) is also very high.
From: DZ on
DZ wrote:
> Kenneth T. Onyee <kentonyee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Why does Cov[X,Y] = 0 insufficient to imply that
>> Cov[ X^2, Y^2 ] = 0?
>
> The dependency need to have a
.......................^^^^^^^^^

err... read "to LACK the" (linear component for the covariance to be
zero).

From: Robert Israel on
In article <1119225653.199817.198360(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Kenneth T. Onyee <kentonyee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>Why does Cov[X,Y] = 0 insufficient to imply that
>Cov[ X^2, Y^2 ] = 0?

Cov[X,Y] = 0 is one scalar equation. Cov[X^2, Y^2] = 0 is a different
equation. There's no reason to think that either should imply the other,
and just about any nontrivial exploration (say with distribution
of X depending on a parameter) will provide counterexamples.

>What are necessary and sufficient conditions to guarantee that Cov[X^2,
>Y^2] = 0?

The definition: E[X^2 Y^2] - E[X^2] E[Y^2] = 0, or restatements thereof.

Robert Israel israel(a)math.ubc.ca
Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
University of British Columbia Vancouver, BC, Canada

From: kentonyee on
> >What are necessary and sufficient conditions to guarantee that Cov[X^2,
> >Y^2] = 0?

> The definition: E[X^2 Y^2] - E[X^2] E[Y^2] = 0, or restatements thereof.

i was thinking of a less tautological relationship, like
Cov[X^2, Y^2] = 0 if, and only if, X is "independent" of Y.
(But I'm not sure if "independence" is necessary or sufficient...)

Onyee

From: Robert Israel on
In article <1119231980.397473.240530(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<kentonyee(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >What are necessary and sufficient conditions to guarantee that Cov[X^2,
>> >Y^2] = 0?
>
>> The definition: E[X^2 Y^2] - E[X^2] E[Y^2] = 0, or restatements thereof.
>
>i was thinking of a less tautological relationship, like
>Cov[X^2, Y^2] = 0 if, and only if, X is "independent" of Y.
>(But I'm not sure if "independence" is necessary or sufficient...)

Sufficient, of course. But not at all necessary. Again, counterexamples
are very easy to construct.