From: Mike S on
I wrote a VB6 program used the P&D Wizard to make the setup package. I
tried to install it on my machine to test the installer script because
there are a couple of files that have to be installed in subfolders of
the app.path, but when I ran setup.exe I got a DEP warning:

Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
Name: Setup Bootstrp for Visual Basic Setup Toolkit
Publisher Microsoft Windows

I've never seen this before, does this indicate there is a problem with
my system, or do I just need to turn off DEP for any VB installers?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Mike
From: duke on
On Aug 2, 3:21 pm, Mike S <ms...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I wrote a VB6 program used the P&D Wizard to make the setup package. I
> tried to install it on my machine to test the installer script because
> there are a couple of files that have to be installed in subfolders of
> the app.path, but when I ran setup.exe I got a DEP warning:
>
> Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
> To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
> Name: Setup Bootstrp for Visual Basic Setup Toolkit
> Publisher Microsoft Windows
>
> I've never seen this before, does this indicate there is a problem with
>   my system, or do I just need to turn off DEP for any VB installers?
>
> Any recommendations will be appreciated.
>
> Mike

I personally have not experienced this problem, but googling "Data
Execution Prevention" yields many explanations as to why / how you get
the message, notably the ones from Microsoft, which provide work
arounds for specific programs that you may want to consider.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

Duke
From: ralph on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 14:21:04 -0700, Mike S <mscir(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I wrote a VB6 program used the P&D Wizard to make the setup package. I
>tried to install it on my machine to test the installer script because
>there are a couple of files that have to be installed in subfolders of
>the app.path, but when I ran setup.exe I got a DEP warning:
>
>Data Execution Prevention - Microsoft Windows
>To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
>Name: Setup Bootstrp for Visual Basic Setup Toolkit
>Publisher Microsoft Windows
>
>I've never seen this before, does this indicate there is a problem with
> my system, or do I just need to turn off DEP for any VB installers?
>
>Any recommendations will be appreciated.

First off, it is not a problem with your system.
Tighter "DEP" services is a "feature" with later XP service packs, and
broke a number of install packages not just Setup. (Not necessarily a
bad thing, but sure annoying. <g>)

Take a look at your P&D package to see if you are including any
"system" components - these are mostly OLE. P&D by default includes
everything the Application the application depends on. At the time the
P&D was developed this wasn't a bad idea - but since then many of
these components are platform-dependant or already present and
protected. So trim up your Package and include only the bare minimum
needed. This often shuts DEP up.

Also take a look at where you might be trying to stuff new items.

Re-working the package is likely needed on a DEP error no matter what
install product you are using.

While re-working the package often works, most Users just temporarily
diable DEP, do the install, then put it back. Which is ok for in-house
or friends 'n family, but for a shrink-wrap install, you will probably
want to remove the offending element.

You probably have already seen these:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352/

-ralph
From: Mayayana on
In addition to what others have said....

DEP prevents running executable code from
data areas. With VB I don't know of anything
that will set off DEP other than some methods
of using assembly code hacks.

I'm pretty sure there's no inherent DEP issue
with the PDW. I haven't heard of any problems.
BUT... The message you're getting implies the
problem is with setup.exe. That seems unlikely.
It may be a problem on your system. But if it
keeps happening you might try this:

www.jsware.net/jsware/vbcode.php5#set12

The original PDW is a VB project with at least 1 bug
and a lot of bloat. It also includes setup.exe written
in C++, which is mainly there to deal with installing
the runtime if necessary. These days it would be very
unlikely that you need to install the runtime. The link
above is for a rewrite of the PDW that eliminates
setup.exe, trims down setup1.exe to about half the
size, and adds new updates like the option to set
permissions, create a Desktop shortcut, create an
App Data folder, etc. There are full instructions
included.

The nice thing about using PDW is that it's VB and can
therefore be fully customized, but if you don't want to
deal with that -- and don't mind a "vanilla" installer --
a lot of people say good things about the free Inno
Setup as an alternative.