From: robin on
<analyst41(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message news:927645a3-7b77-47a1-a4cb-17824bfad53d(a)k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com...
On Feb 4, 1:14 am, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> robin <robi...(a)bigpond.com> wrote:
>>
>> (snip, someone wrote)

>> > That wouldn't do what Lynn wanted, which was to check
>> > argument types as well as numbers of arguments.
>>
>> It would be possible, but not easy.
>
>> It takes much of the front end of a Fortran compiler to do it.
>> Fortran compilers lately are rarely written in Fortran.

>I am sure the these two are easy to write in Fortran

>(1) Recognize lines that start a sub-program declaration

>(2) extract the number and names of arguments

>You then have to keep reading lines until the first exceutable
>statement (is that easy, may be not).

>Is it going to be very hard to see what rank and type has been
>declared for each argument?

>Perhaps - but still a lot easier than an entire compiler, I think.

But none of that is necessary.
Why re-invent wleels?
An F90+ compiler will do it automatically.

From: JB on
On 2010-02-04, glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Most of the front end of a compiler is tokenizing and parsing.

Not really. If we were to take gfortran as representative of a modern
production quality Fortran frontend, the parser is about 10 % of the
SLOC's of the entire frontend (specifically, the files parse.*
scanner.c match*).

--
JB
From: Lynn McGuire on
>> Does IVF create a .MOD file for each .F file ? Do the
>> .MOD file(s) have to put into a certain area for the .F
>> files to look them (my .F files are scattered over about
>> 100 directories) ?
>
> Colin has it right. The generated .mod file (a corresponding .f90 file
> is also created but that's just for human convenience) is placed (and
> looked for) in the folder that other .mod files go, which can be
> specified by the /module option. In a Visual Studio project, this is by
> default the "intermediate" directory, usually named Debug or Release.

IVF is working well.

Thanks,
Lynn
First  |  Prev  |